Employment is an important component of the student experience. Student employment allows students to gain valuable professional experience while alleviating some of the financial obligations that arise during college. In addition, campus jobs provide supportive environments that enable students to improve the critical skills necessary for their career success.
Job opportunities are available both on and off campus. There are two types of on campus student employment: The Federal Work-Study Program (FWSP) and part-time student employment (non Work-Study). Please see below for descriptions and eligibility requirements.
Federal Work-Study Program (FWSP)
- The FWSP provides funds for part-time employment to help students to finance the costs of postsecondary education
- FWSP positions are only available to students who have completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and have been awarded Work-Study in their financial aid package
- To be eligible for hire, in addition to being awarded Federal Work Study, students must:
- be enrolled in a degree or certificate program in six or more credit hours per semester
- maintain satisfactory academic progress
- be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- FWS eligibility and awards are determined by the Financial Aid Office. For questions regarding eligibility or to be placed on the FWS waitlist, please contact Krista Massaro at 716.286.8502
On Campus (non Work-Study)
- If a student is not eligible for Federal Work Study, there are still opportunities to work on campus in part-time positions, funded through individual department budgets and on campus businesses
- Departments that offer part time opportunities include, but are not limited to, Academic Success Center (Peer tutoring), Dwyer Arena, Admissions, and Campus Safety
- On campus businesses that service our students, such as Metz Culinary Management and Barnes & Noble, also offer part-time opportunities for employment
- Employment opportunities are posted on Handshake: The Get Hired Portal
- Niagara University's convenient location is less than 5 miles from Military Road in Niagara Falls and Center Street in the Village of Lewiston, home to various retail stores, restaurants, and other local businesses
- Public transportation is available daily on campus
- Full-time F1 Visa students living in the U.S. while studying may work on campus up to 20 hours per week while school is in session and full-time during holidays and breaks
- Other employment options for full-time F1 Visa students are restricted to either Curricular Practical Training (CPT) or Optional Practical Training (OPT)
- Documentation is required prior to the start of employment - Please visit http://www.niagara.edu/required-documentation/ for specific requirements
- The Office of Graduate Studies offers assistantships, scholarships, awards, and campus employment opportunities for well qualified, matriculated graduate students
- Please visit http://www.niagara.edu/gradaid/ for further more information
All student employment positions are competitive. The university does not guarantee job placement for any student, but we do guarantee that we will do everything we can to assist students through the job search process.