Kiernan Rec Center
**Per University policy, beginning Monday, Aug. 23, everyone entering the Kiernan Center, regardless of vaccine status, will be required to wear a mask at all times.**
Due to the ongoing construction taking place, the Kiernan Center will be impacted from a facility and programming perspective for the entire 2021-2022 academic year. Currently, construction is scheduled to be complete in August 2022. Below are some important items that the Niagara University community should be aware of.
- The facility will be open while classes are in session 8 a.m. - 10 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. - 9 p.m. on Fridays, and 9 a.m. - 9 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays. Hours will be modified during break and recess periods when classes are not in session.
- Due to construction, the weight room, upper fitness center, racquetball court, and dance studio will not be accessible. The front fitness center will be the only fitness area that will be accessible until construction is complete. We have relocated some free weight pieces from the weight room to the front fitness center but options are limited. There will be no squat racks or platforms available for use and capacity limits will be enforced.
- Our focus is always to prioritize access for our current students, faculty, and staff. Due to the limited amount of space available during construction, we will not be permitting guests or indoor facility rentals and memberships will be limited to only graduate and part-time students, faculty, and staff. Only current students, faculty, and staff will be permitted to use the facility.
- The Scaffidi gym and front gym (basketball gym) will be open and available for use for pickup sports, university groups, and programming. Groups (classes, teams, clubs & organizations) should not schedule any activity in these gyms without approval from the Kiernan Center. To request space for an event, class, or practice, please email Derek Puff at email@example.com.
- We will be opening the pool for open swim beginning Oct. 4, 2021. Open swim hours will be 7 - 9 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 11 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
- Intramural sports are back! We will be offering a number of leagues and tournaments this year and we look forward to welcoming our students back for some friendly competition.
- Club sports will be returning to competition during the fall 2021 semester. If you are interested in joining a club sport, all teams will have representation at the NSO club fair on Sunday, Aug. 29, at 8 p.m.
- We are currently looking into options for group exercise classes. We will be unable to offer in person classes at the Kiernan Center but are looking into options to host classes in other areas of campus.
If you have any questions please contact Derek Puff at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For updates, please continue to monitor this website.
Your Center for Campus Recreation
Welcome to the homepage for the Kiernan Recreation Center, Niagara University's all-in-one recreation complex. The Kiernan Center offers more than 50 intramural, recreational & health/wellness programs for the Niagara University community. In addition, the center is the site for numerous community-based programs.
Niagara University's Kiernan Recreation Center is a facility where students, university employees and community members can go to workout, get in shape and have fun!
The mission of the Kiernan Recreation Center is to support Niagara University’s Vincentian mission by developing and maintaining healthy and life-enhancing recreational opportunities for the University community.
The Kiernan Center staff strive to provide:
- Quality services
- Quality programs
- Quality facilities