- Apply for a FSA ID now so you can electronically sign your FAFSA.
- Have your parents apply for a FSA ID so they can electronically sign your FAFSA.
- The FAFSA form is being updated, and the deadline to fill it out has been delayed. The FAFSA form for the 2024-25 school year is expected to be available in December 2023. Don’t wait for admissions acceptance. File the FAFSA electronically or obtain a paper FAFSA by calling the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1.800.433.3243.
- Complete the NY State Express TAP Application that is linked to the online FAFSA or complete the TAP application directly.
- Complete individual college financial aid applications where required. Consult the colleges’ catalogs to see if required.
- Check deadline dates for all applications.
- Review and correct, if necessary, the Student Aid Report (SAR), which is sent to you by the federal processor of your FAFSA.
- Check the status of your New York TAP application.
- Receive financial aid award letters (packages) from colleges. Compare and evaluate packages carefully using cost of attendance less financial aid for the real “bottom line.”
- Respond to each college’s package within the stated deadlines.
- Make your choice of college to attend. (May 1 is a common deadline).
- Finalize Federal Direct Loan application by signing a Master Promissory Note (MPN) and completing entrance loan counseling.
- Submit the TAP change form if you decided to attend a college other than the one listed on your award certificate or call NYSHESC at 1.888.697.4372.
- Attend an orientation session for fall.
- Follow up on progress of your application for TAP, Federal Direct Loans, and other forms of student aid, if necessary.
- Arrange for payment of fall tuition bill.