What we do
Made possible by the generous gift of Rose Bente Lee Ostapenko, the center is dedicated to investigating the various ethical issues related to healthcare and medicine facing our local and global communities. Our goals are:
- To promote interdisciplinary and collaborative research projects among faculty members at NU.
- To organize events in the form of guest speakers, panel discussions, conferences, and trips to educate and foster discussion of ethical issues in medicine and healthcare for students and the community.
- To serve as a foundation for NU students in the “Ethics in Medicine and Healthcare Program.”
Center’s Recent Events
- Perseverance and Caring for Others
- On media and the drug industry.
- On the nature of coercion.
- With members of Roswell Park’s Center for Indigenous Cancer Research.
- On bringing down infant and child mortality.
- On the badness of death and allocation of scarce medical resources.
- With the authors of Kidney to Share.
- On the nature of addiction.
319 Dunleavy Hall
Mon. – Fri. | 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Mon. – Thu. | 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Fri. | 8:30 a.m. – noon
Rose Bente lee ostapenko
The center is named in honor of Rose Bente Lee Ostapenko, a native of Germany who immigrated to the United States in the 1930s before becoming a successful entrepreneur and philanthropist. Utilizing her talents as a clothing designer, Ostapenko opened The Sewing Shop in Washington, D.C., the precursor to The House of Fine Fabrics, a 17-store corporation. She sold the fabric store chain in 1978 to Fabri-Center of America.
Ostapenko’s philanthropy supported many types of educational, religious, health, and community service organizations. She was introduced to Niagara University by her friend, 1951 NU alumnus Jim Keenan, and developed a friendship with the Rev. Francis X. Prior, C.M., who served as NU’s vice president for institutional advancement. Ostapenko received an honorary doctorate from Niagara in 1986. Upon her passing in 2014, a portion of her estate was designated to support Niagara University.
Dr. William H.
Dr. James J.
Dr. Mark A.
Dr. Robert S.
Dr. Kevin A.
Dr. Susan E.
Dr. Mary P.
Sr. Judith A.