Elementary and Secondary Education
This master’s degree program is offered on the Niagara University main campus in the U.S. (near Niagara Falls, NY). This 39-credit hour program leads to certification in Early Child and Childhood Education (Birth-Grade 6/Primary-Junior grades), Middle Childhood and Adolescence (Secondary: Grades 5-12/Intermediate-Senior grades), or PK-12 Theatre Education (U.S. only). It is designed for New York state candidates who wish to become certified teachers in New York State. For international students including those in Canada, this program may meet certain requirements for certification in other jurisdictions.
Our master's degree is designed as a three-semester program for full time study. Students can begin their program in summer, spring or fall semesters. Coursework and field hours are completed during the first two semesters, and the final semester is student teaching and seminar. This program also offers a part-time option.
Our Bachelor of Professional Studies program is designed for Ontario students interested in obtaining certification to teach only in Ontario
For curriculum guide:
Early Childhood and Childhood (Birth to Grade 6 - NYS; primary/junior grades)
Middle Childhood and Adolescence (Grades 5 to 12 - NYS; intermediate/senior grades)
For program outline, see the Graduate Education Catalog
*For students seeking teacher certification in other countries, including Canada, bridge courses are available as part of your program. Please see your advisor/department chair for additional information.
Learn and Earn Opportunity
Thanks to exclusive agreements we have in place with local school districts, candidates can even get paid while completing pre-student teaching/pre-practicum field experiences. With the One-Year Teaching Program, candidates are eligible for elementary/secondary certification in New York State in just three semesters!
- To qualify, you simply need a bachelor's degree in any field of study
- We'll personalize your program to fit the specific demands of your life
- Take classes on the weekend, in the evenings, and even online
- Get paid for doing real-world classroom work as part of your one-year program
- Two-day-a-week program for fall, spring & summer
- State-of-the-art education building with cutting-edge instructional technology
- Model pre-K through 12 classrooms
- Cohort-based learning community
- Small class sizes, which equals personal contact and attention from professors
- Recognized, accredited and award-winning programs
- Long-educational tradition and ties with Ontario and New York state
- Substantial field experience
- Expert and engaged faculty
- Outstanding career placement
- Full-time and part-time options available