Ms. Lara Berich
Ms. Lara Berich is an Assistant Professor of Costume Technology and the Costume Shop Director, responsible for all organization and implementation of costume support for all NU Theatre productions including patterning and constructing all manner of garments, alterations, and creative troubleshooting!
Professional experience includes
- 17 seasons and ongoing as a Draper / Tailor with the Santa Fe Opera including world premieres of Cold Mountain, Lord of Cries
- Grammy winner the (R)Evolution of Steve Jobs, and the Letter
- 5 seasons as a Draper / Tailor with the Oregon Shakespeare Theatre including world premieres of Head Over Heels, UniSon (musical retelling of the unpublished poetry of August Wilson devised by the company Universes)
- Engaging in Social Justice trainings with Art Equity
- Freelance and contract work with the Metropolitan Opera, the Huntington Theatre Company, City Theatre and Quantum Theatre in Pittsburgh, PA, Theatre Under the Stars, Indiana Repertory Theatre, and more
- Apprentice Scenes Costume Technology supervisor with the Santa Fe Opera since 2013
- Workshop and panel presentations with the United States Institute of Theatre Technology (USITT)
- Guest lecturer for Salem State University, Berklee University and University of Connecticut on the topics of the inclusive and accessible fitting room, sizeism and body positive / inclusive work in costuming, and gender equity in the arts.
- University of Montana, Ohio University, Indiana University Bloomington. Costume Technology consultant for upcoming new edition of Theatrical Production and Design (Gillette). USITT working group member, updating backstage terminology to be both more inclusive and less gendered.
Focus of Teaching
- Costume Construction and advanced Construction
- Period Patternmaking
- And a variety of other courses based upon student interest
- Inclusive fitting practices for the body and gender identity equity (title forthcoming) workshop panel member/presenter USITT 2023
- United States Institute for Theatre Technology – Member since 2005
- M.F.A. – Costume Production, Boston University
- B.A. – Theatre Performance with Education Licensure, Greensboro College