The Niagara Fund is an opportunity for alumni, faculty, staff, students, parents, and friends of the university to come together to make a difference in the quality of education and services the university provides. Niagara University’s success depends largely on private support from friends and alumni. Gifts to the Niagara Fund are used on a daily basis to help meet the university’s greatest ongoing needs and support our academic mission.
Your gifts support
- Scholarships and financial aid, which attract new, deserving students to pursue their studies
- Faculty and curriculum development to continue building NU’s legacy of providing academic excellence in the Vincentian tradition
- Technology to equip students and faculty to make important advances in all areas of study
- Utilization of new and current buildings and maintaining the physical beauty of the campus
Whether you give when a student calls you during the Phonathon, in response to a letter, by electric funds transfer, or online, you are helping our students by contributing to the excellence of a Niagara University education. And don’t forget to have your gift matched, so your employer contributes too!
Your gift to the Niagara Fund is sincerely appreciated. Gifts may be applied to the following areas:
- The University Fund (please place my gift where it is currently needed most)
- College of Arts and Sciences
- College of Business Administration
- College of Education
- College of Hospitality and Tourism Management
Why is the level of participation important?
Participation in the Niagara Fund is an endorsement of Niagara and the education students receive here. Corporations and foundations often look for strong alumni support when making funding decisions. Participation levels are also used as a standard measure of alumni satisfaction and are considered when colleges and universities are ranked nationally.
Our goal is to increase participation annually. Every gift, no matter what size, makes a difference and raises participation levels. And your gift may be doubled or tripled if you or your spouse work for one of more than 5,000 matching gift companies.
What are matching gifts?
Matching gifts are contributions made by an employer to match an employee’s contribution. Most companies match employee gifts at a ratio of 1:1, but some companies match at an even higher level. Participating companies provide a form, usually found in the personnel office, which employees send with their gift. The development office verifies the contribution and returns the form to the company, which then forwards the gifts. All matched gifts are credited to your individual gift record and make you eligible for the donor recognition clubs listed below.
To determine if your employer, or your spouse's employer, offers a matching gift program, please click here.
Is my gift tax deductible?
Niagara Fund gifts are tax deductible to the fullest extent of the law. A gift to Niagara in the form of appreciated securities can earn extra tax advantages, because not only do you get an income tax deduction, you can also avoid paying capital gains tax. If you wish to make a gift of stock, you may mail or deliver the stock certificates directly to us. Simply endorse the certificate to Niagara upon delivery, or provide a signed stock power in a separate envelope. Your charitable deduction will be determined by the asset’s fair market value on the date of the gift.
For further information or discussion on any gift you are considering for Niagara, please contact the Office of Institutional Advancement at 716-286-8772.
Niagara’s donor recognition clubs
- The John Lynch Society acknowledges annual leadership gifts of $1,856 or more
- President's Club Cum Laude: $50,000 and above
- President’s Circle: $25,000 - $49,999.99
- Trustees Circle: $10,000 - $24,999.99
- Dean's Circle: $5,000 - $9,999.99
- Founder's Circle: $1,856 - $4,999.99
- Young Alumni Society (6-10 years out): $500 and above
- Young Alumni Society (1-5 years out): $250 and above
Other gift clubs include
- Niagara Club: $750 - $1,855.99
- Purple Eagle Club: $150 - $749.99
- Patron Club: $1 - $149.99
Annual gifts to Niagara are credited each year from June 1 – May 31.