NU B.F.A. Auditions & Interviews
2023 - 2024 B.F.A. Auditions & Interviews
For prospective and transfer students seeking entry into the BFA Performance, BFA Design & Production or BFA Theatre Specialization programs for the 2023-2024 academic year, applicants are required to audition or interview with a portfolio review. This year we will be hosting two on-campus audition dates. Applicants are only required to attend one of the following dates:
Date: Sunday, Jan. 29, OR Sunday, Feb. 12, 2023.
Time: 9:30 a.m. (We do not expect the day will go past 2:30 p.m.)
Place: The Elizabeth Ann Clune Center for Theatre, Niagara University
All applicants for the BFA Performance program are required to complete the following audition requirements.
1. Monologue: One-minute monologue of your choice from a play, prepared and memorized. Not to exceed two minutes.
2. Vocal: 32-64 bars preferably from a musical. An accompanist will be provided. Please bring your sheet music in a binder or with pages taped together. Singing a cappella or with a taped accompaniment will not be permitted.
3. Movement: This audition will be utilized to assess dance and movement placement. A short dance combination will be taught, followed by a workshop in stage combat. Please wear standard dance attire or clothing that permits ease of movement, as well as appropriate footwear (athletic sneakers for stage combat).
Additionally, all applicants for the BFA Performance program are required to submit a headshot/photo and resume.
Design & Production Applicants
Each applicant for the design and production program will meet with the design faculty for 30 minutes to present a prepared portfolio and should be prepared to discuss their theatre experience, career aspirations and expectations at NU.
The portfolio should include a maximum of 15 samples that primarily reflect the applicant’s technical theatre production experience. Some examples of materials that might be included are:
- Resume of applicant’s theatre production experience.
- Production photographs that showcase applicant’s work (sets, costumes, props, lighting, etc.)
- Technical drawings of elements designed by the applicant (sets, costumes, props, light plots, etc.)
- Audio samples and documentation of sound designed by the applicant.
- Stage manager prompt book generated by the applicant.
- Additional theatre paperwork generated by the applicant such as run crew notes, prop lists, sound cue lists, etc.
- Photographs or examples of applicant’s artwork.
- Letters of recommendation
All applicants for the BFA Design & Production program are required to submit a current headshot/photo, resume and letters of recommendation.
Theatre Specialization Applicants
Applicants for the theatre specialization programs must complete an interview with faculty members from the department of theatre and fine arts. Due to the varying demands of each emphasis (directing, dramaturgy, and playwriting), applicants will have the option to audition and/or present a portfolio of their work.
*NU Theatre Scholarships
Those applicants who attend either one of the audition/interview dates will also be considered for a Niagara University Theatre Scholarship. There are a number of these scholarships available for incoming and transfer students, valued at $5,000 each and renewable each year.
For more information, please contact Adriano Gatto or by phone at 716.286.8481.