Dr. Derron Hilts is an assistant professor and coordinator of the school counseling program at Niagara University. Derron joined the Department of Counseling & Applied Psychology in Fall 2022. Prior to joining Niagara University, Dr. Hilts served as a professional school counselor at the elementary and high school levels.
Dr. Hilts has served in numerous professional and leadership roles in a local and national context. He currently serves as a Leadership Intern for Chi Sigma Iota International and Editorial Assistant for the Journal of Counselor Leadership and Advocacy (JCLA).
Dr. Hilts' research agenda focuses on school counseling leadership and comprehensive school counseling programs. He actively publishes in indexed, peer-reviewed journals and has been actively involved in grant applications including competitive national and local grants. Dr. Hilts has received several research grants from state and national organizations including the American School Counselor Association, the New York State School Counselor Association, and Chi Sigma Iota International.
- Ph.D., Counseling and Counselor Education, Syracuse University, 2022
- M.S.Ed., School Counseling, Duquesne University, 2017
- B.S., Psychology, SUNY Fredonia, 2015
Select Refereed Publications
- Hilts, D., Liu, Y., Li, D., & Luke, M. (2022). Examining ecological factors that predict school counselors’ leadership practices. Professional School Counseling, 26(1), 1-14. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/2156759X221118042
- Hilts, D., Peters, H., Liu, Y., & Luke, M. (2022). The model for school counseling leadership supervision. Journal of Counselor Leadership and Advocacy, 1-16. https://doi.org/10.1080/2326716X.2022.2032871
- Kolbert, J., Hilts, D., Crothers., L., & Nice, M. (2021). School counselors use of Marcia’s identity status theory for advisement, consultation, and collaboration. Journal of School Counseling, 19(21), 1-27.http://www.jsc.montana.edu/articles/v19n21.pdf
- Nice, M. L., Joseph, M., Kolbert., J.B., Hilts, D, Crothers, L.M., Kratsa, K. (2021). Development of the school counselor efficacy for college knowledge questionnaire. Journal of Psychoeducational Assessment, 1-17. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/07342829211021680
- Nice, M., Kolbert, J., Joseph, M., Crothers, L., Hilts, D., & Kratsa, K. (2020). School counselors’ efficacy in knowledge of the college process. Professional School Counseling, 24, 1-12. https://doi.org/10.1177/2156759X20976374
- Hilts, D., Kratsa, K., Joseph, M., Kolbert, J., Crothers, L., & Nice, M. (2019). School counselors’ perceptions of barriersto implementing a RAMP-designated school counseling program. Professional School Counseling, 23, 1-11. https://doi.org/10.1177/2156759X19882646
- EDU 653: Foundations and Ethics in School Counseling
- EDU 662: Organization and Administration of the School Counseling Program
- EDU 676: School Counseling Practicum
- EDU 677: School Counseling Internship I
- EDU 678: Advanced Internship
Dr. Derron Hilts, Ph.D.
|716-286-8182||Send Email to Dr. Derron Hilts, Ph.D.|