Room Selection 2020-2021
The room selection process for the 2020-2021 academic year is underway!
Niagara University offers a variety of housing options and emphasizes personal choice in a competitive assignment process. We encourage you to explore the diverse options available for on-campus living. This process applies to current Niagara students only - new incoming students will have an opportunity at a later date to register for housing through the New Student Portal!
We want to help you make the best decision possible in this selection process. If you have a housing assignment question or any question about current policies or procedures, please contact the Office of Residence Life at 716.286.8566.
Room Selection Process Overview
The most important thing to know is that Room Selection is a two step process! All current students are responsible for registering for their own rooms for the following year, and you aren't finished until you complete both steps. However, at the end, you'll know exactly which room in which hall you're living in next year. You get to pick the room yourself, as well as your roommate(s), if any!
Step One - Room Selection Registration & Housing Contract
The first step in registering for a room is room selection registration. It takes just a few minutes to complete, and by registering, you'll sign your housing contract for the following year and activate the housing deposit to appear on your account (due April 30). The room selection registration period was open during Feb. 8-17.
Step Two - Choosing Your Room
Step two occurs after Spring Break, and the path you take depends on the end goal. For most students, you'll complete step two online where you'll choose your own room similar to how you choose classes. More info will be sent about that via your NU student email during Spring Break.
Room selection, though, isn't the only way to complete step two. You also may complete step two by being part of one of the following groups. If you are part of any of these groups, you DO NOT need to attend the above room selection events, since your room will already be selected.
- Being accepted for an LLC or Program House
- Being accepted for a medical/disability special accommodation
- Being selected as a Community Advisor
- ALL other students must select their room via a Room Selection Event.
- Students who are returning for 2020-2021 are responsible for selecting their own rooms.
Other Important Info
Niagara University is a residential campus and the residential experience is understood to be an integral part of a Niagara education. This commitment to residential education is clearly expressed in the university’s residential requirement:
“The university requires that all Niagara students live in the residence halls for their first two years, except as noted below. The need for this regulation is predicated on statistics that show students who live in residence halls tend to perform better academically, acclimate more rapidly to the collegiate environment, become involved in a great number of learning experiences that compliment classroom teachings, and are more satisfied in general with the college experience."
Therefore, all rising sophomores who are not commuting from their family home must live on campus.
The only exceptions to this residency requirement are:
- Commuters — students commuting from their parent /guardian’s permanent home address which is no more than 50 miles from campus.
- Transfers — students who enter Niagara University with junior or senior status as determined at the time of admission.
- Married Students — with proof of marriage certificate.
- Veterans — with proof of military service.
- Independents — students who show proof of maintaining financial independence for at least two years prior to submission of request to live off campus.
- Parents - students who have children of their own, as we do not offer family housing