Room Selection 2021-2022
The room selection process for the 2021-2022 academic year is underway!
Niagara University offers a variety of housing options and emphasizes personal choice in a competitive assignment process. We encourage you to explore the diverse options available for on-campus living. This process applies to current Niagara students only - new incoming students will have an opportunity at a later date to register for housing through the New Student Portal!
We want to help you make the best decision possible in this selection process. If you have a housing assignment question or any question about current policies or procedures, please contact the Office of Residence Life at 716.286.8566.
Dates to Know:
- March 22 – April 7 –fill out your housing application & sign your contract online
- March 22 – April 7 – select & accept your roommate group (if any)
- March 26 – Medical accommodations – submit requests to Kelly Engert
- April 9 – Lottery numbers & selection times are posted
- April 14 – Apartment Selection Online (choose your actual suites)
- April 15 & 16 – Room Selection (choose your actual room)
Room Selection Process Overview
The most important thing to know is that Room Selection is a two step process! All current students are responsible for registering for their own rooms for the following year, and you aren't finished until you complete both steps. However, at the end, you'll know exactly which room in which hall you're living in next year. You get to pick the room yourself, as well as your roommate(s), if any! You won't choose your actual room until Step 3 on April 14-16.
Fill out your application for housing at the link below. Doing the application begins the process. Complete this by Thursday, April 7 for a priority lottery number!
· Go to the link below, sign in with your regular PurplePass ID
· At the top left corner, click on the Menu
· Click on Applications
· Click "Returner Student Application - Fall 2021"
· Go through and sign your contract and fill out the information
For full screenshots and instructions to complete your Application and Select Roommates, click here!
Choose your roommates, if any, to form a room/apartment group! If you don't want roommates, you can skip part 2.
- Once ALL parties in your room/apartment have submitted their applications, you can go back in to the same link as above and go to "Roommate Selection" and pick your roommates. You will each have to pick each other for it to be mutual.
- This must be complete by April 7!
You'll choose entirely online this year from April 14 - April 16! You'll be assigned a specific time to choose, just like class registration. On April 9, we'll post the exact time you or your group can log in to choose your specific room. Don't be alarmed that nothing is showing up yet for choosing a room, it won't until your exact time on April 14-16.
If you're looking for an apartment, you'll log in on April 14. If you're looking for a room in a residence hall, you'll log in from April 15-16.
For full instructions to select your room on April 14-16, click here.
Other Important Info
Niagara University is a residential campus and the residential experience is understood to be an integral part of a Niagara education. This commitment to residential education is clearly expressed in the university’s residential requirement:
“The university requires that all Niagara students live in the residence halls for their first two years, except as noted below. The need for this regulation is predicated on statistics that show students who live in residence halls tend to perform better academically, acclimate more rapidly to the collegiate environment, become involved in a great number of learning experiences that compliment classroom teachings, and are more satisfied in general with the college experience."
Therefore, all rising sophomores who are not commuting from their family home must live on campus.
The only exceptions to this residency requirement are:
- Commuters — students commuting from their parent /guardian’s permanent home address which is no more than 50 miles from campus.
- Transfers — students who enter Niagara University with junior or senior status as determined at the time of admission.
- Married Students — with proof of marriage certificate.
- Veterans — with proof of military service.
- Independents — students who show proof of maintaining financial independence for at least two years prior to submission of request to live off campus.
- Parents - students who have children of their own, as we do not offer family housing