Programs A-Z Listings
Michael Gentile, J.D.
Associate Professor & Associate Dean
- Office Location:
- Glynn Hall, Room 411
Michael Gentile is an Associate Professor in the College of Hospitality and Tourism Management at Niagara University. He teaches courses in Sport Management, Recreation and Sport Law, Negotiations, Sport Policy and Governance, Event and Facility Management. Additionally, he serves as Associate Dean for the College of Hospitality and Tourism Management and as program director for the sport management graduate program.
In addition to his current position, Professor Gentile has over 20 years of professional experience including 10 years in the practice of law specializing in civil litigation and municipal law. He also has been associated with the sport and recreation industry, specifically in the field of intercollegiate athletics, for 13 years. Prior to arriving at Niagara University, Professor Gentile was the first commissioner of the Empire 8 Conference, a Division III athletic conference in Central New York State. He also has experience as an Associate Athletic Director at the University of Texas at El Paso and as Director of Compliance and Student Services at the University at Buffalo. His athletic administrative experience began in the athletics program at Kent State University. He recently concluded a 30 year career as a high school and college basketball referee, having officiated in six states.
Professor Gentile has conducted research in the areas of athletic eligibility requirements, sport sponsorship regulations, coach’s conduct, constitutional issues and youth sport activities. He has provided workshops for area high school teachers, counselors and coaches and consults with school personnel and students on athletics administration issues.
Professor Gentile is active on campus and in the community, particularly in the area of his expertise. He serves on numerous campus committees including the Faculty Athletic Advisory Committee at Niagara. Additionally, he is a long-standing board member and volunteer for the Niagara Police Athletic League, serves on the nominating committee for Opportunities Unlimited and is a former member of the Niagara Chapter of the American Red Cross Board of Directors. He has been elected to two terms on the Lewiston-Porter Board of Education and serves as president of that board.
- M.A., Physical Education – Sport Administration, Kent State University
- Juris Doctor (J.D.), Cleveland State University - Admitted to the Bar of the State of Ohio
- B.A. History, John Carroll University
- Certification through the Harvard Program on Negotiations
- HRT 100: Introduction to Hotel, Restaurant, Recreation and Tourism
- SPM 244: Recreation and Sport Law
- SPM 275: Introduction to Sport Management
- SPM 380: Sport Policy and Governance
- SPM 473: Sport Facility Management
- SPM 488: Negotiation and Dispute Resolution
- SPM 573: Event and Facility Management
- SPM 588: Legal and Regulatory Environment
Current Research Interest
- Intercollegiate athletics
- Eligibility requirements
- Transfer regulations
- Codes of conduct and ethics
- Issues impacting sport officials
- Risk Management
- Negotiations and Dispute Resolution
- Not for Profit sport organizations
- Chapter contributor entitled “Sport and Tourism” currently under review in Zhou, Z. Hospitality and tourism management; a volume of the series on western research in the humanities and social sciences. Remin University Press. China. Projected publication date July, 2013.
- Customized chapter on sport management updated contributor to Cook, A., Yale, L. & Marqua, J., (2010). Tourism: the business of travel (2nd Custom ed.). Upper River Saddle, New Jersey: Pearson Custom Publishing.
- Customized chapter on sport management contributor to Cook, A., Yale, L. & Marqua, J., (2007). Tourism: the business of travel (Custom ed.). Upper River Saddle, New Jersey: Pearson Custom Publishing.
- Dewire, R. & Gentile, M. (2009). Conference alignment and realignment. Poster presentation at the College Sport Research Institute 2nd Annual Conference on College Sport. Chapel Hill North Carolina.
- Gentile, M. (2007). Applicability of the equal protection clause to high school transfer regulations. Refereed stand-up presentation at the Sport and Recreation Law Association 20th Annual Conference on Sport, Physical Activity, Recreation and Law. Chapel Hill North Carolina.
- Gentile, M. & Niland, B. (2007). Liability for high school counselors when applying NCAA initial eligibility requirements. Refereed stand-up presentation at the Sport and Recreation Law Association 20th Annual Conference on Sport, Physical Activity, Recreation and Law. Chapel Hill, North Carolina.
- Gentile, M. & Niland, B., (2006). Ethical codes for NCAA division I coaches. Refereed stand-up presentation at 13th Annual Conference Promoting Business Ethics. Niagara Falls, New York.
- van Harssel, J. & Gentile, M., (2006). Integrating an intro course. Non-refereed stand-up presentation at Putting the Pieces Together: Fostering Integrative Learning. Niagara University, New York.
- Member of the Sport and Recreation Law Association (SRLA)
- Admitted to the Ohio State Bar, November 1980 (inactive)
- Sport and Recreation Law Association, faculty member, 2005-present
- International Association of Approved Basketball Officials, Board #53, 1991-97 and 2000-present
- Western New York Board of Women’s Officials, 2000-present
Service to Niagara University
- Member of the Niagara University Graduate Council, 2012-present.
- Member of the Faculty Salary Equity Adjustment Committee, 2007-present
- Member, Americans With Disabilities Act Committee, 2006-2007
- Member, Academic Standards, Planning and Support Committee, Aug. 2004-present; Member of university-wide task force on class scheduling 2011; Member of university-wide subcommittee on course retake policy. 2010-201
- Member, Faculty Athletic Advisory Committee, Aug. 2001-present
Current Service to the Community
- Elected to the Lewiston-Porter Board of Education (two terms) 2007-2010 & 2011-2014.
- President of the Lewiston-Porter board of Education, 2013-present.
- Vice President of the Lewiston-Porter Board of Education, 2012-2013.
- Member of the Niagara-Orleans School Boards Association, 2008-2010 & 2011-present.
- Treasurer, Niagara-Orleans School Boards Association, 2012-present.
- Nominating Committee Member, Opportunities Unlimited of Niagara, 2013-present.
- Vice-Chair, Board of Directors of the American Red Cross, Niagara Falls Chapter, June 2006-2010.
- Member, Board of Directors of the American Red Cross, Niagara Falls Chapter, 2004-2010.
- Chair, Human Resource Committee of the American Red Cross, Niagara Falls Chapter, June 2006-2008.
- Member, Human Resource Committee of the American Red Cross, Niagara Falls Chapter, 2003-present.
- Member, Board of Directors, Niagara Police Athletic League, 2000-present.
- Member, Financial Development Committee, Niagara Police Athletic League 2002-present.