The Office of Academic Support provides free tutoring support to students who want to improve their English skills and become more confident in their ability to communicate in English. Our English as a Second Language (ESL) tutors can assist students in the following areas:
Speaking and listening:
- Finding the right words to express your thoughts.
- Improving pronunciation, grammar and word choice.
- Improving English vocabulary.
- Understanding rapidly spoken English, American sayings and colloquial language.
Reading and writing:
- Improving reading, understanding and responding to college texts.
- Improving English grammar (e.g., writing complete sentences).
- Understanding how to compose different types of writing (e.g., thesis and argument).
- Understanding citation rules.
Background knowledge in American culture and history:
- Basic American geography, government, history, and politics.
- Cultural cliches and allusions.
- Commonly known Western literature.
Spring 2017: We have two English as a Second Language (ESL) tutors.
Danielle Dorogi is available in the Office of Academic Support at these times:
- Mondays: 6-8 p.m.
- Tuesdays: 4-6 p.m.
- Thursdays:11 a.m.–1 p.m.
Myranda Juszkiewicz is available at these times:
- Mondays: 11a.m.-2 p.m.
- Wednesdays: 2-4 p.m.
- Thursdays: 1-2 p.m.
Students may schedule an appointment with Danielle or Myranda by contacting Academic Support at 716.286.8072 or by emailing Marissa Beccari, administrative assistant in the Office of Academic Support, at email@example.com.