Accelerated BS Program Information
We are excited to offer an accelerated program for persons interested in a career as a professional registered nurse, who have already received a bachelor’s degree in another major from an accredited university/college. This program will be one year in duration, running full time across the summer, fall and spring semesters. Included will be both theoretical courses and clinical courses. Class sizes will be kept small to foster student success. Our accelerated program is approved by the New York State Education Department, which is needed for you to take the NYS RN licensing examination upon graduation.
The accelerated nursing "curriculum card," which outlines the entire program, can be found online here under nursing.
The application process for the 2018-2019 program is now closed. The application process for the 2019-2020 program will open in the spring.
Special Benefits for the Accelerated Nursing Student
- Niagara has discounted tuition by 30 percent for nurses in the accelerated B.S. program.
Admission criteria include:
- 3.0 Minimum Overall Grade Point Average (GPA) for BS/BA
- Prerequisite courses must be completed with a C+ grade or higher prior to starting the accelerated program:
- Anatomy and Physiology I with lab
- Anatomy and Physiology II with lab
- Microbiology with lab (lab requirement begins for the 2020-2021 class)
- Developmental Psychology
How to apply:
- Complete the online university application for admission (choose the Accelerated Summer 17 term in the drop-down menu)
- Complete an essay on why you are choosing nursing as a profession and have two letters of recommendation sent in, submit this documentation to the Office Of Admissions, PO Box 2011, Niagara University, NY 14109.
- Have your transcripts sent to Office of Admission, PO Box 2011, Niagara University, N.Y. 14109. Include high school and all colleges/universities attended.
- Accelerated program applicants - please call for more information to the School of Nursing at 716.286.7358, interviews will be scheduled by the School of Nursing upon review of completed applicant files.
Curriculum for the Accelerated Program
The accelerated program "curriculum card" which outlines the entire program can be found online here under Nursing.
Courses marked with an "*" are half semester courses.
Summer Semester 1
- NUR 376 Foundations of Professional Nursing
- NUR 350/350L Nursing Concept & Practicum I/Lab — Introduction to clinical science and skills
Summer Semester 2
- NUR 356 Pharmacology
- NUR 354/354L Nursing Concepts II/Lab - Health Assessment and Promotion
Summer Semester 3
- NUR 372/372L Nursing Concepts III/Lab - Individual w/ Identified Needs
- NUR 399 Nursing Practicum III: Clinical Care Individual
- NUR 356 Pharmacology
- NUR 460/460L * Nursing Concepts IV: Health of Maturing Adults / Chronic Disease
- NUR 461 * Nursing Practicum IV: Clinical Care Adult / Chronic Disease
- NUR 352 * Nursing Concepts V: The Developing Family
- NUR 353 * Nursing Practicum V: Nursing & The Developing Family
- NUR 450 Research Process
- NUR 355 Building Healthy Communities
- NUR 463 Nursing Practicum VI: Community
- NUR 474 Leadership, Administration and Management In Nursing & Health
- NUR 485 Internship / Capstone
- NUR 468 Information Technology For Nursing & Health Care
- NUR430 Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing
- NUR 499 NCLEX Review