Accelerated B.S. Program Information
Niagara University offers an accelerated nursing program for individuals interested in a career as a professional registered nurse. Applicants will hold a bachelor’s degree in another major from an accredited university or college. This program is one year in duration, running full time across the summer, fall and spring semesters. Included are both theoretical and clinical courses. Students will also complete nursing skills classes as well participate in nursing simulation. Class sizes are small to enhance student success. Our accelerated program is approved by the New York State Education Department. Upon successful completion of the program the student will be eligible to sit for the NYS RN licensing examination (NCLEX).
A second cohort has been added to the accelerated nursing program. The first cohort of 2021 will begin in January with a graduation date in December 2021. The second cohort will begin in May with a graduation date of May 2022. Deadlines for application are as follows: January 2021 cohort - June 1, 2020. May 2021 Cohort - October 1, 2020. Applications will not be considered complete until all supporting documentation (official transcripts from all schools attended, essay, and two letters of recommendation) is received.
Admission criteria include:
- BA/BS Degree from an accredited university or college
- 3.0 minimum overall grade point average (GPA)
Prerequisite courses must be completed with a C+ grade or higher before the program begins:
- Anatomy and Physiology I with lab
- Anatomy and Physiology II with lab
- Microbiology with lab
- Developmental Psychology
How to apply:
- Complete the online university application for admission
- If applying for the January 2021 cohort, choose the Transfer Application, Spring 2021 for desired date of enrollment, and Nursing Accelerated Program as intended major.
- If applying for the May 2021 cohort, choose the Transfer Application, Summer 2021 for desired date of enrollment, and Nursing Accelerated Program as intended major
- Submit an essay on choosing nursing as a profession (minimum 250 words).
- Submit two letters of recommendation to the Office Of Admissions, PO Box 2011, Niagara University, NY 14109.
- Forward official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended to the Office of Admission, PO Box 2011, Niagara University, N.Y. 14109.
- Questions regarding the application process should be directed to the Office of Admission at 800.462.2111.
Special Benefits for the Accelerated Nursing Student
- Niagara University has discounted tuition by 30 percent for nurses in the accelerated B.S. program.
Courses included in the Accelerated Program:
- NUR 376 Foundations of Professional Nursing, Introduction to Nursing
- NUR 350/350L Nursing Concept & Practicum I/Lab — Introduction to clinical science and skills
- NUR 354/354L Nursing Concepts II/Lab - Health Assessment and Promotion
- NUR 450 Research Process
- NUR 372/372L Nursing Concepts III/Lab - Individual w/ Identified Needs in Nursing Practice
- NUR 399 Nursing Practicum III: Clinical Care Individual, Medical Surgical Nursing I
- NUR 356 Pharmacology
- NUR 460/460L Nursing Concepts IV: Health of Maturing Adult/Chronic Disease, Medical Surgical Nursing II
- NUR 461 Nursing Practicum IV: Clinical Care Adult / Chronic Disease
- NUR 352 Nursing Concepts V: The Developing Family, Maternal Health, OB/GYN/PEDS
- NUR 353 Nursing Practicum V: Nursing & The Developing Family, OB/GYN/PEDS
- NUR 474 Leadership, Administration and Management In Nursing & Health
- NUR 355 Building Healthy Communities
- NUR430 Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing
- NUR 463 Nursing Practicum VI: Community
- NUR 485 Internship / NCLEX Review
- NUR 468 Information Technology For Nursing & Health Care