Accelerated B.S. Program Information
We are excited to offer an accelerated nursing program for individuals interested in a career as a professional registered nurse, who have already received a bachelor’s degree in another major from an accredited university or college. This program will be one year in duration, running full time across the summer, fall and spring semesters. Included will be both theoretical courses and clinical courses. Class sizes will be kept small to foster student success. Our accelerated program is approved by the New York State Education Department, which is needed for you to take the NYS RN licensing examination upon graduation.
The accelerated nursing curriculum card, which outlines the entire program, can be found online.
The application process for the 2020-2021 program is now closed. Applications for the 2021-2022 class will open on May 1, 2020.
Special Benefits for the Accelerated Nursing Student
- Niagara University has discounted tuition by 30 percent for nurses in the accelerated B.S. program.
Admission criteria include:
- 3.0 Minimum Overall Grade Point Average (GPA) for BS/BA
- Prerequisite courses must be completed with a C+ grade or higher prior to application:
- Anatomy and Physiology I with lab
- Anatomy and Physiology II with lab
- Microbiology with lab
- Developmental Psychology
How to apply:
- Complete the online university application for admission (choose the Transfer Application, Summer 2020 for desired date of enrollment, and Nursing Accelerated Program as intended major)
- Complete an essay on why you are choosing nursing as a profession (minimum 250 words) and have two letters of recommendation sent to the Office Of Admissions, PO Box 2011, Niagara University, NY 14109.
- Have your transcripts sent to Office of Admission, PO Box 2011, Niagara University, N.Y. 14109. Official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended must be received by the October 1st application deadline..
- Accelerated program applicants - please call the School of Nursing at 716-286-7358for more information.
Curriculum for the Accelerated Program
The accelerated program "curriculum card" which outlines the entire program can be found online here under Nursing.
Courses marked with an "*" are half semester courses.
Summer Semester 1
- NUR 376 Foundations of Professional Nursing
- NUR 350/350L Nursing Concept & Practicum I/Lab — Introduction to clinical science and skills
Summer Semester 2
- NUR 354/354L Nursing Concepts II/Lab - Health Assessment and Promotion
- NUR 450 Research Process
Summer Semester 3
- NUR 372/372L Nursing Concepts III/Lab - Individual w/ Identified Needs
- NUR 399 Nursing Practicum III: Clinical Care Individual
- NUR 356 Pharmacology
- NUR 356 Pharmacology (continued through 1st half of semester)
- NUR 460/460L * Nursing Concepts IV: Health of Maturing Adult/Chronic Disease (1st half)
- NUR 461 * Nursing Practicum IV: Clinical Care Adult / Chronic Disease (1st half)
- NUR 352 * Nursing Concepts V: The Developing Family (2nd half)
- NUR 353 * Nursing Practicum V: Nursing & The Developing Family (2nd half)
- NUR 474 Leadership, Administration and Management In Nursing & Health (2nd half)
- NUR 355 Building Healthy Communities (1st half)
- NUR430 Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing (1st half)
- NUR 463 Nursing Practicum VI: Community (1st half)
- NUR 485 Internship / Capstone (2nd half)
- NUR 499 NCLEX Review (2nd half)
- NUR 468 Information Technology For Nursing & Health Care (Entire semester)