NU SAGE History
NU Alliance Members at Awesome People Saying Awesome Things, 2016
History of NU SAGE & NU Alliance
The following are a list of key dates in the formation of NU Sage & NU Alliance
- October 14, 2021 - NU Sexuality and Gender Equality (NU S.A.G.E.) evolved from the NU Alliance and the new name was revealed in honor of National Coming Out Day
- October 20, 2010 - The first group picture was taken for the website
- October 19, 2009 - The first Awesome People Saying Awesome Things event was held
- August 30, 2009 - The NU Alliance became officially recognized by Niagara University
- February 2, 2009 - The first post was made in the NU Alliance Facebook group.
- January 25, 2009 - The first meeting was convened Under the Taps of what would become the NU Alliance
2009 Call for NU Alliance - From a Founding Member
"That calls for a group that will promote education and understanding of all sorts of sexual orientation. Just as with racism, sexism, and other fun isms, students need a place to experience the various viewpoints of individuals coming from all classifications, they need a grounds to discuss and analyze and view something that is very relevant to our lives in this modern America.
So don't say there is no discrimination. Don't say this isn't necessary, or important. Hundreds of students on this campus are showing their disagreement. And this campus has a clique-y and scattered student population -- when do we ever band together, outside of basketball games? When does our campus EVER show unity for one cause? We have a diverse, fun, and open-minded campus community, so let's show that for once without having to don our purple t-shirts and blending in. Instead, let's all join together and stand out as individuals with various beliefs, various orientations, and very different lives. This isn't about protestation. This is about representation of the diversity in our lives."
NU Alliance Members 2009-2010