NU English Essay Contest
Congratulations to our Essay Contest Winners for 2019!
Upper Level English
- 1st Prize: Anna Cappello
- Runner Up: Arianna Gabriel
- 1st Prize: Nina Grenga
- Runner Up: Liam Cuddy
- 1st Prize: Emma McCorry
- Runner Up: Stephanie Domanico
Announcing the NU English Essay Contest!
What is the contest?
The Department of English will award prizes for outstanding original undergraduate writing in essay form in the following categories:
- ENG 110 (1500 words or less)
- WRT 100 (1500 words or less)
- 200-400 level ENG or WRT courses (literature or writing) (2,500 words or less)
Papers can be literary, analytic, creative, personal, or expository. Students do not have to be English majors to enter; any full or part-time NU student enrolled in one of these courses may submit a paper.
What are the prizes?
- ENG 110: First prize $100; Runner-Up $25
- WRT 100: First prize $100; Runner-Up $25
- 200-400 level ENG or WRT courses (literature or writing): First prize $100; Runner-Up $25
How do I enter?
1) Prepare your paper:
- Choose your best work from any NU English or Writing course. Entries in the ENG 110 and WRT 100 categories should be 1500 words or less (approximately 6 double-spaced pages); Entries in the 200-400 level ENG or WRT course categories should be 2500 words or less (approximately 10 double-spaced pages).
- Create a title page for your paper with your name, contact information, course title, instructor name, and date. Your name should only appear on the title page and not anywhere else in the paper.
- Print a clean double-spaced copy of your paper and title page that does not contain grade information or instructor/peer comments.
2) Bring your paper to Dunleavy 344 and give it to Jackie DiFonzo or Sheri Bradfield-MacKenzie.
When is the deadline?
Wednesday, Apriil 17, 2019 (the day before Easter break begins)
What is the selection process?
Papers will be read by a panel of three distinguished English instructors.
Who can I contact for more information?
Contact Dr. Collington at 716.286.8631 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.