Youngsoo Choi, Ph.D.
Associate Professor & Academic Associate Dean
- Office Location:
- St. Vincent's Hall, Room 413
Dr. Choi is the Interim Dean and associate professor at the College of Hospitality and Tourism Management. He joined Niagara University in Fall 2013 as an assistant professor, and has taught several different courses across three majors that the College is currently offering at both undergraduate and graduate level.
Dr. Choi puts a high priority on student advisement and services to the NU community, and has demonstrated his passion throughout his career as a faculty member of higher educational institutions. He has participated in thesis/dissertation committees as an advisor or a committee member for both graduate and undergraduate Honors students, whose works have been well recognized by academic conference presentations and by university/college awards. Dr. Choi has a special interest in the internationalization initiatives of the University/College. Since he joined NU, he has been instrumental in the development of collaborative relationships with multiple universities in South Korea. He has also been serving NU in a variety of ways via University committees and taskforces, including a co-chair of the University Planning Council, co-chair of a Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE) reaccreditation self-study team, member of Executive Committee of the Academic Senate, the Coordinator of Sport Management and Recreation program (2015-2016), and the Academic Associate Dean of the College (2016-2019).
Dr. Choi received a Ph.D. in Hotel, Restaurant, and Institutional Management at Pennsylvania State University with the dissertation focused on international tourism demand forecasting. His main research areas include: tourism destination management & marketing, hospitality human resource management, tourism economics, and hospitality education. His work has been published in refereed academic journals such as International Journal of Hospitality Management, Tourism Management, Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Research, International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, International Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Administration, Journal of Human Resources in Hospitality & Tourism. He has also served as an editorial reviewer for various academic journals, and has been involved in professional associations for many years
- Ph.D., Hotel, Restaurant, and Institutional Management, Pennsylvania State University, PA, U.S.A.
- M.S., Economics, University of Wisconsin-Madison, WI, U.S.A.
- M.A., International Economics, Seoul National University, Seoul, South Korea
- B.A., Economics, Seoul National University, Seoul, South Korea
Current Research Interest
- Hospitality human resource management issues
- Tourism destination marketing: niche market analysis, destination image/brand
- Impacts of international tourism
- Hospitality education
Selected Peer-Refereed Journal Publications
- Ro, H., Olson, E., & Choi, Y. (2017). An exploratory study of gay travelers: socio-demographic analysis, Tourism Review, 72(1), 15-27.
- Lee, J., Choi, Y., & Breiter, D. (2016). An Exploratory Study of Convention Destination Competitiveness from Attendees’ Perspective: IPA & Repeated Measures o f MANOVA. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Research. 40(5), 589-610.
- McGrath, K., & Choi, Y. (2016). An examination of college students’ reading comprehension and study strategies: A case study of a hospitality management course. The Journal of College Literacy and Learning, 42, 55-76.
- Ro, H., Choi, Y., & Olson, E. (2013). Service recovery evaluations: GLBT versus hetero customers. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 33, 366-375.
- Kim, S. & Choi, Y. (2013). Hotel employees’ perception of green practices. International Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Administration, 14(2), 157-178.
- Choi, Y., & Ro, H. (2012). An empirical study of hospitality management student attitudes toward group projects: Instructional factors and team problems. Journal of College Teaching & Learning, 9(4), 303-312.
- McDowall, S. & Choi, Y. (2010). A comparative analysis of Thai residents’ perception of tourism’s impacts. Journal of Quality Assurance in Hospitality and Tourism, 11(1), 36-55.
- Choi, Y. & Dickson, D. (2010). A case study into the benefits of management training programs: Impacts on hotel employee turnover and satisfaction level. Journal of Human Resources in Hospitality & Tourism, 9(1), 1-14.
- Chen, P. & Choi, Y. (2008). Generational differences in work values: A study of hospitality management. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 20(6), 595-615.
Selected Peer-Refereed Conference Presentations
- Lee, J., Kim, G., & Choi, Y. (2019). Does Green Make Attendees Grin? Conventioneers’ Perception on Destination Competitiveness based on Green Practice. 2019 Tourism, Hospitality, and Event Conference for Researchers, Educators, Practitioners, and Students (THEREPS) annual conference, Las Vegas, NV: April.
- Choi, Y. (2016). Cultural/heritage tourism in the Niagara Falls (USA): a psychographic baseline analysis. 2016 Korea America Hospitality and Tourism Educators Association (KAHTEA) annual conference, Nevada, LV: April.
- Choi, Y., & McGrath, K. (2015). An empirical study on college students’ utilization of reading comprehension strategies and study skills: implications for instruction. 14th Annual Niagara University International Conference on Teaching and Learning, Niagara University, NY: January.
- Choi, Y., & McGrath, K. (2014). Intentionally applied comprehension strategies: The impact on student achievement in a hospitality human resources management course. Association of Literacy Educators and Researchers (ALER) Conference, Delray Beach, FL: October.
- Choi, Y. (2014). An analysis of hotel employee exit survey data. 2014 Korea America Hospitality and Tourism Educators Association (KAHTEA) annual conference, Nevada, LV: April.
- Choi, Y., Davis, D., and Huh, C. (2014). Is there any relationship between students’ computer self-efficacy (CSE) and their perception of e-textbook experiences over time? 13th Annual Niagara University International Conference on Teaching and Learning, Niagara University, NY: January.
- Choi, Y., Ro, H., & Olson, E. (2013). An exploratory study of the association between gay tourists’ psychographics, their perceived destination image, and the generational factor. 2013 Korea America Hospitality and Tourism Educators Association (KAHTEA) annual conference, Nevada, LV: April.
- Xu, S., Choi, Y., & Lv, Q. (2012). Subjective well-being, work motivation, organizational commitment, and job enrichment: A moderated mediation study of Chinese hotel frontline employees. Annual I-CHRIE Summer Conference, Providence, RI: August.
- Choi, Y. (2011). Sensitivity of the U.S. inbound tourist arrivals to the exchange rate volatility. 17th Asia Pacific Tourism Association Annual Conference, Seoul, Korea: July.
- Lee, J., Ro, H., & Choi, Y. (2011). Convention destination image and attributes: an application of multi-dimensional scaling (MDS) and factor analysis. The 2011 TOSOK International Tourism Conference, Seoul, Korea: July.
- Niagara University Academic Senate, 2015-2017, 2019-present
- Executive Committee, Academic Senate, 2015-2017
- General Education Committee (Academic Senate Standing Committee), 2014-2015, 2017-present
- General Education Curriculum Revision sub-committee, 2017-present
- University Planning and Resource Council (UPRC), 2018-present
- University Budget Board (UBB), 2018-present
- University Planning Council (UPC), 2014-2018
- Co-chair & Executive Committee, University Planning Council (UPC), 2016-2017
- Co-chair, Middle State Reaccreditation self-study team (Standard IV), 2015-2017
- Committee on Committees, 2015-2016
- Advisory Board, Center for Language, Culture and Leadership, 2016-2017
- International Strategic Enrollment Committee (A subcommittee of the Strategic Enrollment Committee), 2014-2016
- Committee on College Teaching and Learning (CCTL), 2013-2015
Involvement in academic/professional associations
- Editorial review board of Tourism Studies (Korean), The Tourism Sciences Society of Korea
- Ad-hoc editorial reviewer of Annals of Tourism Research, International Journal of Hospitality Management, Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Research, International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, Journal of Hospitality Marketing & Management, Journal of Quality Assurance in Hospitality and Tourism
- Member of The International Council on Hotel, Restaurant, and Institutional Education, Hotel Human Resources Association (HHRA) of Central Florida, Asia Pacific Tourism Association, The Regional Science Association International, The Travel and Tourism Research Association, and The International Society of Travel and Tourism Educators
- Niagara Falls, NY international tourist profile and psychographic analysis (2018-2019)
- Role: Primary Investigator
- Baseline study for Niagara Falls National Heritage Area, Inc. (Summer 2015)
- Role: Primary Investigator
- 2015-16 Undergraduate student summer support grant (Summer 2015) with Dr. Yonghong Tong, Department of Computer & Information Sciences
- Development of a mobile application for destination Niagara Falls, NY
- Funds for the Improvement of Teaching, Niagara University (2014) with Dr. Stefanie Wichhart, Department of History, and Dr. Kathleen McGrath, College of Education
- 2014 CCTL Grant (2014) with Dr. Kathleen McGrath, College of Education
- Best Paper, 2013 Korea America Hospitality and Tourism Educators Association (KAHTEA) Annual Conference, Nevada, LV, U.S.A.: April. Choi, Y., Ro, H., & Olson, E. (2013). An exploratory study of the association between gay tourists’ psychographics, their perceived destination image, and the generational factor.
- Highly Commended Award at the Literati Network Awards for Excellence (2009), Emerald Group Publishing Limited. Chen, P. & Choi, Y. (2008). Generational differences in work values: A study of hospitality management. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 20(6), 595-615. Top 20 most downloaded articles during the 6 months immediately following the month of publication (among the articles published in IJCHM: 2006 -2008).