Niagara University's sustainability committee is charged with enhancing the ability of current generations to meet their needs without compromising the ability of future generations to meet theirs.
American College & University Presidents' Climate Commitment - Signed Nov. 15, 2012
For more information visit http://www.presidentsclimatecommitment.org/.
What does it mean for NU?
- Creating a committee to oversee the implementation of the PCC.
- Completing a greenhouse gas inventory of the university.
- Creating a climate action plan within two years to reduce waste and eventually aim for carbon neutrality.
- Creating a timeline for implementing the components of the climate action plan.
- Incorporating sustainability into the curriculum.
- Providing public access to all reports, progress and achievements of the PCC.
- Identify areas where the university can benefit from more environmentally responsible practices.
- Facilitate positive actions to improve the physical environment of the university.
- Educate and explore opportunities to improve or start new educational programs that highlight "green issues" on our campus.
- Lead or initiate programs to improve our physical surroundings and build awareness to the issues that confront our world.
Reduce, Reuse Recycle Goals
- Reduce: Minimize our waste stream by increasing our knowledge of other environmentally-friendly processes and actions.
- Reuse : Start or enhance programs that will increase the life of previously purchased materials.
- Recycle: Promote the increased use, and ease of programs that restore materials to an almost new condition.
- Change the way the university faculty, staff and administration think about energy usage.
- Find ways to conserve electricity and avoid using fossil fuel-generated electricity.
- Consider alternatives to fossil fuels for vehicles and building systems.
- Recommend that we purchase items that are energy efficient.
- Communicate what Niagara is doing to protect the environment to the university community.