Dr. Sherri Cianca
Assistant Professor of Education
- Send Email
- Office Location:
- Academic Complex, 330E
- Office Hours:
- Contact for Appointment
- STEM Education
- Assessment for Learning
- Mathematics Curriculum
- Ph.D. OISE/University of Toronto
- M.A. OISE/University of Toronto
- B.A. University of Western Ontario
- B.S. Tennessee Temple University
Courses Developed & Taught at Niagara University
- EDU 429 Curricular Applications B-6: STEM
- EDU 451 Assessment for Learning
- EDU 491 Professional Seminar and Practicum
- EDU 505 Measurement and Evaluation in Education
- EDU 529 STEM Curricula and Methods in the Elementary/Inclusive Classroom
- EDU 550 Early Childhood Mathematics, P-2
- EDU 552 Applied Children and Adolescent Literature
- EDU 562 Literacy: Intermediate Grades
- EDU 791 Professional Seminar and Practicum
- EDU 796 Practicum Literacy Instruction
- LAM 499 Senior Seminar (action research)
- MAT 351 Mathematics for Elementary Teachers—Grades 5-9
Publications (Selected) — Books and Book Chapters
- Cianca, S. (2020). Teaching Elementary STEM Education: Unpacking Standards and Implementing Practice-Based Pedagogy. New York, NY: Routledge.
- Named number six Bookauthority’s list of 8 best new teaching books to read in 2020: https://bookauthority.org/books/new-teaching-books
- Cianca, S. (2016). Inter-Institutional Collaboration Led by Non-Positional Faculty: A STEM Initiative through A Multi-Frame Model. In Bessenger and Cossa (Eds), University Partnerships for Academic and Program Development (IHETL, Vol. 7). Bingley, UK: Emerald Group Publishing Limited.
- Cianca, S. (2011). The birdhouse project: Increasing teacher candidates’ mathematical knowledge through a work sample assessment. In P. Kot (Ed.) Case studies in active, integrated learning: Teaching innovations that make a difference (pp.129-148). Amherst, NY: Cambria Press.
- Cianca, S. (2013). Bird Boxes Build Content Area Knowledge. Mathematics Teaching in the Middle School, 19(1), 22-29. Feature article with front page spread
- Cianca, S. & Huang, J. (2013). Cultures and philosophies: A professor with a Western Socratic-based Philosophy and Her Peer with an Eastern Confucius-based Philosophy Internationalize Curriculum. International Journal of Education and Culture, 2(4), 230-245.
- Cianca, S. (2012). Cross-age reading buddies and culturally-sensitive literature: Student-centered English language instruction in an Ethiopian budget school. Journal of Research in Childhood Education, 26(4), 392-417.
- Cianca, S. (2010). Quality WebQuests: Scaffolding pre-service teachers’ WebQuest construction. Teacher Education Quarterly, 37(1).
Presentations & Workshops (Selected)
- Cianca, S. (2017). STEM Curriculum and Pedagogy: An Elementary Engineering Design Challenge. Science Teacher’s Association (STA) Conference, Rochester, NY.
- Cianca, S. (2017). STEM Curriculum and Pedagogy: An Elementary Engineering Design Challenge. Mini-Course. Association of Mathematics Teachers of New York (AMTNY) Conference, Buffalo.
- Cianca, S. (2016). Unpacking and Decoding and Teaching the Standards: Integrating Subject Matter Knowledge and Pedagogy. Critical Questions in Education Conference, presented by Academy for Educational Studies. San Antonio, Texas.
- Cianca, S. (2016). Women in STEM at Niagara University. Part of a forum discussion. Niagara University.
- Cianca, S. (2015). Assessing Performance Standards in an Inquiry-Based Classroom. Seminar. Professional Development Seminars, Toronto, Canada.
- Cianca, S. (2015). Assessing Common Core Learning in an Inquiry-Based Classroom. Workshop-Seminar. Professional Development Seminars, Buffalo, New York.
- Cianca, S. (2015). Assessing Common Core Learning in an Inquiry-Based Classroom. Workshop-Seminar. Professional Development Seminars, Rochester, New York.
- Cianca, S. (2015). Discovery Box Engineers: Growing a STEM Classroom. National Science Teachers Association (NSTA) National Convention, Chicago, Illinois.
- Cianca, S. (2013). Culturally Relevant Curriculum to Promote Students’ Mathematical Knowledge. NCTM (National Council of Teachers of Mathematics): 2013 Annual Conference & Exposition, Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Cianca, S. (2013). In-Service and Pre-Service Teachers Collaborate in the Development of Culturally Relevant Curriculum to Promote Students' Mathematical Knowledge. NCSM (National Council of Supervisors of Mathematics): National Annual Conference, Denver, Colorado.
- Cianca, S. (2012). Diagrams and Models: Enhancing Pre-Service Teachers’ Subject Matter Knowledge. National Council for Teachers of Mathematics: 2012 Annual Meeting and Exposition, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- Cianca, S. (2012). Discover Discovery Boxes: Science in a Box. National Science Teachers Association, International Conference and Expo, Indianapolis, Indiana.
- Cianca, S. (2011). Birdhouse builders: Enhancing geometric reasoning and spatial sense. Association of Teachers of Mathematics, New York State Conference, Rochester, New York.
- Cianca, S. (2011). Reading Buddies and Culture: English Literacy in an African Low Budget School. ACEI International Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Cianca, S. (2011). WebQuest: Future Citizens in Action. CCTL Conference, Niagara University.