English Summer Camp
Niagara University’s English summer camp will provide cultural and enrichment activities that focus on the sights and sounds of summer in New York state. Students have the opportunity to become immersed in seasonal activities related to the arts, outdoor recreation, and enrichment in the cultural and English-language atmosphere of an American college campus as well as in the community.
What can you expect?
- Increase the level of fluency in English speaking and writing for academic, professional, and general purposes
- Be able to relate to Americans through many social and cultural experiences
- Have a great time
At the completion of the English Summer Camp, students are provided a certificate indicating the English language level and the number of hours they completed.
About the Camp
Niagara University offers entry-level English as a Second Language (ESL) courses over the summer for college credit. This program allows qualified international students the opportunity to challenge themselves to the rigors of college-level work while living on the Niagara University campus - all at a discounted cost.
One of the main courses ESC offers is our ESL 193 course. Designed for foreign students, this course provides intensive training in the basics of English grammar, composition and language arts skills. An individual program of instruction is designed to help students master the English skills required for college students and allow the foreign student a reasonable expectation of success later in WRT 100, which is required of all undergraduate students.
Two-week camp costs $2,390
- Integrative learning camp– utilize English skills during activities
- Three credits included
- Average 22 hours classroom instruction per week
- Fees– application
- Books, Applications, testing, and materials
- Local Activities
$75 per day early arrivals, late departures. All flights should arrive at BUF (Buffalo Niagara International Airport). All flights should depart United States from BUF (Buffalo Niagara International Airport) unless students select to travel to NYC for a two day one night stay including sightseeing and transportation to and around New York City – then their flight arrangements should depart JFK airport.
Language experience will be provided for four hours each day, 4 classroom days and one experiential day with faculty. Based on English language proficiency (assessed as the first camp component), these experiences would vary based on the needs of the individual student and would include:
- Practice in conversation
- Vocabulary Enrichment, Reading and Writing Skills
- Opportunities to work with assistance (coaching) in the language technology lab
At the completion of the Summer Camp, students receive a certificate indicating the English language level/hours completed.
Participants will stay in a high-rise Residence Hall with seven floors set up in a rectangular fashion, containing common area facilities in the center of each floor. Rooms are fashioned for double occupancy. Large lounge, game tables and kitchenette on the first floor
- Living on campus with other international students as well as Niagara University students allows for a real culture and language immersion.
- A large shared common area with access to a convection oven.
- Internet/Ethernet outlets and cable TV access in each bedroom.
- Washer and Dryer use is complimentary.
- Sheets, a pillow,/pillowcase, blanket, bath towel and washcloth all provided.
Students will engage in many cultural activities during the camp's session including
- Niagara Falls Day - Discovery Pass including the world-famous Maid of the Mist.
- Artpark State Park - Enjoy a concert in a casual, natural setting.
- Kiernan Recreation Center - Participate in various activities with students to experience American sports.
- Buffalo Bisons Game - Enjoy America’s pastime—attend a professional baseball, game as a fan after learning how to play it with us.
- Devil's Hole State Park - Right next to our school is a gorgeous hike that leads down to the base of the gorge and to the Devil's Hole Trail, with amazing views and rapids