Resources for English Students
In addition to these online resources, you can also find a Resource Library in the main office for the English department in Dunleavy 344. There are books for writing, research and literary analysis as well as career guides.
General Literature Resources
- Your Brain on Fiction
- English Literature Glossary for Students
- Literary Resources on the Net
- Voice of the Shuttle English Literature Resources
Literary Theory Resources
- Online Literary Criticism Guide
- The Problem of Meaning in Literature
- Internet Public Library Online Literary Criticism Collection
Reading Literature Critically
- NU Library Guide to Literary Criticism Research
- NU Library Research Help
- Research Competency Guidelines for Literatures in English
Using Information and Citing Sources Using Modern Language Association (MLA) Format
- Using Literary Quotations
- Making Reference to the Works of Others In Your Text in MLA Format
- Using Modern Language (MLA) Format for Your Works Cited Page
Grammar and Mechanics
- Capital Community College Guide to Grammar and Writing
- English Grammar Reference and Exercises
- Commonly Confused Words
- Revising Prose
- Style Guide and Reference Collection
Graduate School/Career Planning
Check out our NU English Major Job Help site, written by English major Deandra Modica (Class of 2010) for lots of advice about what you can do as an NU English major after graduation! Also, Dr. Laurel has a great blog with tips and information for English majors about career planning and life in general.
Advice About Applying to Graduate School
- Survey of Doctoral Education: English
Information about graduate study in English from PhD candidates and recent Ph.D.s in English.
- Graduate School: English (Washington and Jefferson University)
A good guide to what programs are available and how to improve your chances of getting in.
Finding Graduate Programs
- MLA Guide to Graduate Programs
The Modern Language Association offers a searchable listing of programs in English, modern languages, and comparative literature.
- U.S. News and World Report Graduate Program Rankings (for English)
U.S. News and World Report ranks graduate programs in all fields every year; their website allows you to search graduate programs and find the top ones in your field of interest.
Careers in English
- Career Services: English Majors (University of Washington)
- This page lists job titles for English majors, skills drawn from the major, and has lots of links to job listings, career planning sites, and other resources..
- NU's Career Opportunities Page
NU's page offers lots of links to job sites and resources.
- What To Do With an English Degree (Career Thoughts) This site offers "a list of some of the most common career choices for students who major in English" as well as resources for English majors.
- English Major Job Help