Niagara University Sexuality and Gender Equality (NU SAGE) Constitution
Niagara University Sexuality and Gender Equality shall hereby be known as NU SAGE. NU SAGE will provide inclusivity to members of the LGBTQIA+ through educational and interactive support. NU SAGE is open to all Niagara University students. NU SAGE is a safe, confidential space for students to express themselves. NU SAGE represents student voices and advocates for a more inclusive University. Niagara University SAGE will follow all the policies of Niagara University.
Article I – Name of Organization
The name of this Club/Organization is NU Sexuality and Gender Equality. It shall hereby be known as NU SAGE.
Article II – Purpose
NU SAGE provides inclusivity to those within the LGBTQIA+ community through educational and interactive support. NU SAGE will advocate and be a voice for students to make Niagara University more inclusive.
Article III - Advisor
The advisor of this club shall be nominated and approved by organization members as well as approved by the Director of Campus Activities. The advisor must be a full-time faculty or staff member, sign all check requests, and is kept informed of organization meetings and activities.
Article IV – Membership
All undergraduate students of Niagara University, full or part-time, regardless of major, shall be eligible for membership in NU SAGE.
Membership shall not be denied on the basis of race, skin color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, gender, or disability.
All members are required to complete and document, in accordance with the NUSGA and the Office of IMPACT at least five (5) hours of community service. These five hours per semester can be counted towards involvement in all organizations students are a member of. Meet with the IMPACT office for assistance with community service goals and options as a student organization.
Article V – Officers
- Vice President:
- Media and outreach:
Article VI – Duties of Officers
- The officer’s duties and order of succession shall be as follows:
Section I. President
- The president is the point person for all communication. They are the liaison for communicating with the board and the club members. The president will also be the contact person for food deliveries.
Section II. Vice President
- The vice president is responsible for reinforcing and supporting the presidential duties. The Vice President shall set up meetings (powerpoints, activities, etc.)
- Shall coordinate community service opportunities and documentation collaboratively with the IMPACT office and on the club roster on myNU.
Section III. Secretary
- Secretary must attend all meetings and is required to document the meeting evaluation.
- Secretary is required to record attendance for all club meetings (initials for confidentiality).
- Secretary is responsible for gathering supplies for all meetings.
- Shall be responsible for complying with the NUSGA roster submission requirements and deadlines
- Assist the Vice President in coordinating community service opportunities and documentation
Section IV. Treasurer
- Treasurer is responsible for attending all budget meetings for the year. Treasurer is responsible for filling out and submitting all budget forms to NUSGA and MAAB. As well as individual budget forms for each meeting.
- Shall maintain communication with Office of Campus Activities regarding the club’s bank account information and corresponding documentation
- Shall be responsible for maintaining a working knowledge of the NUSGA Budget rules and ensure that the organization is abiding by them
Section V. Media and outreach
- Media and outreach will coordinate club collaborations. They are responsible for providing a consistent social media platform and advertise within campus.
Article VII – Election of Officers
Elections of officers will take place in April of the spring semester, as it will allow for training of new officers by the former officers. It is highly recommended that positions are filled by individuals who have at least one semester of membership within the club. Members of the club are allowed to vote.
Because of the organization’s fervent support of integrity and fairness, officers will be elected by a simple majority vote of the NU SAGE members. Members may not hold more than one officer position at a time. In the event that an office becomes vacant during the course of a year for any reason, the other officers shall appoint a member or officer (in this case the officer will have to relinquish his/her/their current position and another non-office holding member will replace him/her/them) to replace the missing one.
Officer candidates must be nominated (self-nomination with second), must maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.25 and must have completed one year of membership previous to nomination. All officer terms are one academic year in duration. If a current officer wishes to resume their office after their term is expired they must re-run for office. Officers found not fulfilling the duties outlined herein, may be impeached by majority vote of leadership with consultation of the advisor. New elections shall be held to replace impeached officers within the semester of impeachment. Officers wishing to resign a position must provide a two week notice to remaining officers and members. New nominations and elections will then be held as soon as possible.
Article VIII – Amendments
If the organization wishes to amend this constitution, it must be ratified by a 2/3 majority vote of organization members and subsequently by the NUSGA legislative body.
Article IX – Hazing
There will be no hazing allowed under any circumstances. Any member found to be hazing, harassing or mistreating another member, will be expelled from the organization immediately and permanently.
Article X – Consonance with Mission of Niagara University
NU SAGE will act in harmony with the goals, values, and mission of Niagara University as a Catholic and Vincentian institution.
Revised Fall 2021