Internship Eligibility and Expectations
- Students must have at least a 2.5 GPA in Communication Studies courses and have at least junior ranking (have completed at least 48 credit hours).
- Students must register for academic credit through their academic adviser.
- Student interns are expected to work a minimum of 150 hours during the semester. Hours should be arranged with the employer around student’s class schedule and any other essential obligations. Obviously, students should expect many internships to have periods in which required workloads and hours may vary.
- Students are expected to maintain a professional attitude, appearance, and work ethic at all times. Treat the internship very seriously, as you would with any other important career opportunity. Attendance, punctuality, dependability, good judgment, and maintaining a high quality of work are musts. Failure to adhere to these professional standards will result in a failing grade and/or dismissal from an employer. You should report any problems immediately to the employer and to the NU Co-op coordinator so that they may be resolved quickly.
Internships are graded on a satisfactory/unsatisfactory basis determined by the following criteria:
- Level of work at the internship
- Professional, detailed, and well-organized journal, which you will turn in at the end of the semester
- Professional and well-organized portfolio, which you will turn in at the end of the semester
- A positive evaluation from your internship supervisor