Fall 2019 Online Global Nuclear Awareness Certificate
- November 10, 2019 – December 15, 2019
Registration for the Fall 2019 Online Global Nuclear Awareness Certificate
Register for the GNA Certificate Course through this website:
Or contact: Julianne Hazen, Ph.D./Department of Religious Studies, Niagara University (585)332-8764
Dates: Sunday, November 10 – Monday, December 15, 2019
- Effort: 2-4 hours each week, 15 hours in total for the GNA Certificate
- Schedule: 5 weeks, including an extra week for discussion board interactions
- Level: Beginner-Intermediate, no prerequisites are required
- Cost: $135
- Registration: Open until November 10
The program elements engage students with the issues presented and deepen their learning experience. It includes four modules. Each module will be available to complete over a two-week segment and includes:
- Video presentation (45-75 minutes long) segmented thematically into shorter clips
- Quiz to encourage participants to test their knowledge after each presentation
- Discussion board where participants and presenters engage with questions related to the lecture topic
- Links to extra readings and materials
- Short evaluation of the program at the end of the course
Objectives of the Certificate Course:
- Greater awareness of seven existential issues posed by and associated with nuclear technologies and mankind’s use of nuclear forces.
- Understanding the current nuclear arms race and the potential regional and large-scale consequences of these weapons being used in war.
- Identifying six risks and realities for Americans, especially those living near nuclear power plants.
- Improved understanding of how to protect oneself and others by effectively responding to a radiation emergency and safely navigating the enhanced radiation environment.
I. "Personal and Global Realities of the Nuclear Era" by Tedd Weyman, MEd
II. "Nuclear War: Why we should be concerned about the new nuclear arms race" by Isaac Zimmerman, JD, BS
III. "The American Nuclear Landscape: Is our country prepared for a nuclear crisis?" by Linda Redfield Shakoor, PhD, MS
IV. Personal and Family Protection in the Enhanced Radiation Environment" byPaul Zimmerman, BA