Career Discovery Internship Funds
New for Summer 2021 - The Career Discovery Internship Funds stipend for qualifying non-profit, unpaid internships
To find out more- join us for a virtual information session on Friday April 16th at 12:00pm! Register on Handshake or contact Maureen Rizzo.
According to a 2019 student survey conducted by the National Association of Colleges and Employers, more than half of all students who completed an internship received a job offer within six months of graduation. To facilitate these opportunities for a greater number of students, Niagara University’s Office of Career Services is enhancing its innovative Pathways Program to guarantee internships for participants and to provide stipends to students whose internships are with non-profit organizations and unpaid.
For Summer 2021, funding is available with an award of $2000 per eligible student. Funding is limited! Apply early!
Application deadline is April 30, 2021
For more information about The Career Discovery Internship Funds stipend, please contact Maureen Rizzo, Internship Coordinator, at 716-286-8538.
Students who meet the following criteria are eligible to apply:
- Junior or Senior status
- 2.7 cumulative GPA or higher
The student must have completed the following by application deadline:
- Resume and cover letter appointment with a career services counselor
- Uploaded resume and cover letter to Handshake
- Successful completion of practice interview with career services counselor
- Participation in at least two Career Services information sessions or events
- Completed all application requirements for the specific internship (if approved, stipend will be awarded after successful completion of the internship probation period)
- Students will be allowed one stipend during their undergraduate studies
* Stipends are taxable, students will receive a 1099 form to complete
1) You may find an unpaid internship with a non-profit employer on your own (through faculty, job search websites, LinkedIn, etc). All unpaid internships must be submitted to Career Services for approval.
2) Eligible internships will be posted on Handshake and updated regularly.
To search for eligible internships on Handshake:
- Log into Handshake
- Use the "ALL Filters" feature on the jobs tab
- Search "Career Discovery Internships" within the filter option of labeled by your school
To apply for The Career Discovery Internship Funds, please complete and submit the application below.
When will I know if I will be awarded the $2000 Career Discovery Internship Funds $2000 stipend?
Students receiving the $2000 stipend will be notified via email by May 15, 2021.
When will I receive my $2000 stipend?
The stipends will be dispersed in July, once students have completed their probationary period at their internships.
Will I be required to pay taxes on the $2000 stipend?
Students will receive a 1099 for this payment at the end of January 2022 and will need to file this form with their taxes.
Can I apply after the deadline if I secure a summer 2021 internship after April 30TH?
Please contact Career Services if you secure a summer 2021 unpaid internship at a nonprofit organization after April 30th. In the event that Career Discovery Internship Funds are still available, you may be able to apply for the $2000 stipend.
Internship Success Stories
Marketing Intern, Discover716
Throughout my time at Discover716, I learned to have confidence in my work. I was given the freedom to make big decisions on my own and take the lead on many of my projects which allowed me to develop a sense of independence that I know will be beneficial in my future career.
It is never too early for students to start thinking about their career and gaining experience through internships. I was nervous about doing an internship but I truly learned that my age doesn’t define my abilities. I’m glad that I did an internship early in my college career as I still have roughly two years before I graduate which gives me plenty of time to continue gaining valuable experience before I enter the workforce!