Border Crossing Regulations

International Border Crossing Regulations

Anyone wishing to visit Canada should be aware that new federal regulations as of June 1st, 2009  requires citizens of the United States, Canada, Mexico, and Bermuda to have proper border crossing identification to enter the United States by land.  Anyone crossing the international border must be prepared to present valid photo ID. Valid photo ID includes a valid passport book, passport card, state issued Enhanced Driver’s License or a trusted travelers card which includes, Nexus, Sentri or Fast Cards. The combination of a birth certificate and photo ID are no longer acceptable as proper documentation to cross the international bridges.  

Due to Niagara University’s proximity to Canada, you should be aware of these existing federal regulations prior to travel to Canada. Students who wish to participate in events that are sometimes held in Canada should be sure to have appropriate documentation to re-enter the United States. Niagara University students are NOT required to have a passport to attend Niagara University unless they are international students. For all others, the decision whether to obtain a passport or other form of proper border crossing identification is up to the individual student. For more information on the regulations, known as the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI), refer to the U.S. Department of State website: Please view the documents on the right for more information on proper documentation for international border crossing.

For your convenience, the Niagara University post office processes completed U.S. Passport applications.