Dr. Ian Burt, CPA, Accounting Dept. Chair
Assistant Professor of Accounting
- Send Email
- Office Location:
- Bisgrove Hall, 2nd floor, Rm 251B
- Office Hours:
- Spring 2023: TTH 12-2pm & M 12:30-2:30pm
Dr. Burt is originally from London, Ontario, Canada. He obtained a Bachelor of Science from Cornell University, while being a member of the Cornell Men's Ice hockey team. He received his Masters in Accounting from Michigan State University.
He obtained a CPA and worked as a public accountant for Sciarabba Walker and as an internal auditor for Cornell University in Ithaca, New York.
He completed his Ph.D. in accounting at the University of Waterloo. His dissertation proposal recently won two prestigious awards.
- The Institute of Internal Auditors’ Michael J. Barrett Award
- the Canadian Public Accountability Board’s Keith Boocock award
He is currently in charge of the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program at Niagara. In the past tax year, Niagara’s VITA program had over 80 student volunteers’ complete over 450 tax returns for low income families in the Niagara community.
Focus of Teaching
- ACC 111 - Financial Accounting
- ACC 112 – Managerial Accounting
- ACC 314 – VITA tax program
- ACC 505 - Financial and Management Accounting
- ACC 601 - Strategic Accounting Analysis and Planning
His current research focuses on topics such as employee incentives, the pros and cons of the Internal Auditor's organizational identity, ethics in tax, and management tools used in athletic departments.
Dr. Burt also volunteers his time helping to coach hockey with the Niagara Junior Purple Eagles hockey association. He is also the volunteer goalie coach for Niagara University's Men's Ice Hockey team.