Individuals interested in registering for Niagara University Additional Qualifications (AQ) and Additional Basic Qualifications (ABQ) programs are required to submit a completed application (candidate registration form) and, where applicable, appropriate statement of experience (certificate of teaching experience form).
Applicants seeking Additional Qualifications or Additional Basic qualifications must be an Ontario certified teacher or have completed a pre-service teacher education program as well as having an OCT number, and meet all of the requirements set out in the Teachers’ Qualifications Regulation.
Below are the registration requirements and prerequisites according to regulations listed on the Ontario College of Teachers’ website.
*Please note that all applicants for AQ and ABQ courses need to carefully read the eligibility requirements/prerequisites which are posted on the College of Teachers website.
It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that these requirements/prerequisites are fulfilled prior to applying for any of the offered courses; failure to do so will jeopardize the course being submitted to the Ontario College of Teachers.
Requirements for One-Session AQs from Schedules C (OCT)
Certificate of Qualification and Registration or Certificate of Qualification and Registration (Restricted), Interim Certificate of Qualification and Registration or Interim Certificate of Qualification and Registration (Limited).
Requirements for Specialist Qualification from Schedule D (OCT)
The three-part specialist courses consist of Parts I, II and III (Specialist).
The certificate of teaching experience form for part 2 and specialist courses in Schedule D must be submitted at the time of application for the course.
Download the relevant forms for your chosen course:
- Certificate of Qualification and Registration or Interim Certificate of Qualification and Registration (ICQR) or ICQR (Limited)
- Basic Qualifications in Primary or Junior divisions or Intermediate or Senior divisions in general studies
- Primary Education, Junior Education and Intermediate Education require a basic qualification in the respective division.
- For admission into Part I in Kindergarten, applicants also must hold a qualification in the Primary division
- Part I or evidence of a Schedule A subject associated with the Intermediate or Senior division which the Ontario College of Teachers considers equivalent
- One year of successful teaching experience, certified by a supervisory officer (Certification of Teaching Experience Form, AQ Part II & III)
- Part II or equivalent
- Two years of successful teaching experience, including one in the subject in Ontario, certified by a supervisory officer. Experience outside of Ontario must be certified by an appropriate supervisory official (see Appendix 2 — Certification of Teaching Experience Form, AQ Part II & III).