Individuals interested in registering for Niagara University Additional Qualifications (AQ) and Additional Basic Qualifications (ABQ) programs are required to submit a completed application (candidate registration form) and, where applicable, appropriate statement of experience (certificate of teaching experience form).
Eligible candidates for AQ and ABQ courses:
- OCT certified teachers
- Recent graduates of accredited teacher education programs in Ontario
Please note that for recent graduates, the following eligibility requirements must be met:
- The candidate has successfully completed all of the graduation components for the initial teacher education program
- OCT has received a report from the dean or director of the teacher education program attesting to the completion of the initial education program
- The candidate has begun the registration process to become a member of the college
- The candidate has submitted a copy of their OCT online application documents status page by email to: email@example.com
Please note for recent graduates:
OCT will award the qualification for the course provided that:
- The candidate was admitted to the additional qualification as per the admission requirements noted above
- The candidate completes the application and becomes a member of the college in good standing within two years from the date of application for licensure. The two-year time frame is in keeping with the college practice that an application is valid for two years from the date of the completed application.
- Upon completion of the course, providers must report all students who have completed the course, and the date they completed the course, to the college. As the file is reviewed, if the application for certification is still valid, the AQ will be awarded.
- For those who are not certified members of the college, in good standing, before the end of two years from the date of application to the college for licensure, the AQ will be considered by the college to have been taken for personal professional learning purposes and will never appear on the member’s certificate of qualification and registration.
Below are the registration requirements and prerequisites according to regulations listed on the Ontario College of Teachers’ website.
*Please note that all applicants for AQ and ABQ courses need to carefully read the eligibility requirements/prerequisites which are posted on the College of Teachers website.
It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that these requirements/prerequisites are fulfilled prior to applying for any of the offered courses; failure to do so will jeopardize the course being submitted to the Ontario College of Teachers.
Requirements for One-Session AQs from Schedules C (OCT)
Certificate of Qualification and Registration or Certificate of Qualification and Registration (Restricted), Interim Certificate of Qualification and Registration or Interim Certificate of Qualification and Registration (Limited).
Requirements for Specialist Qualification from Schedule D (OCT)
The three-part specialist courses consist of Parts I, II and III (Specialist).
The certificate of teaching experience form for part 2 and specialist courses in Schedule D must be submitted at the time of application for the course.
Download the relevant forms for your chosen course:
- Certificate of Qualification and Registration or Interim Certificate of Qualification and Registration (ICQR) or ICQR (Limited)
- Basic Qualifications in Primary or Junior divisions or Intermediate or Senior divisions in general studies
- Primary Education, Junior Education and Intermediate Education require a basic qualification in the respective division.
- For admission into Part I in Kindergarten, applicants also must hold a qualification in the Primary division
- Part I or evidence of a Schedule A subject associated with the Intermediate or Senior division which the Ontario College of Teachers considers equivalent
- One year of successful teaching experience, certified by a supervisory officer (Certification of Teaching Experience Form, AQ Part II & III)
- Part II or equivalent
- Two years of successful teaching experience, including one in the subject in Ontario, certified by a supervisory officer. Experience outside of Ontario must be certified by an appropriate supervisory official (see Appendix 2 — Certification of Teaching Experience Form, AQ Part II & III).