Mission and Goals
Consistent with the mission of Niagara University and the College of Business Administration, the Department of Accounting seeks to prepare accounting students to become professional accountants with potential for leadership roles in business, to provide all business students foundation knowledge in accounting, to challenge students to reach their potential, and to develop interest in learning as a lifelong pursuit.
To help achieve our mission, the following goals have been established:
- To convey a conceptual understanding of accounting and business law and its application to the functional areas of business in the global community.
- To enhance understanding of the interpretation and use of financial information for decisions in a constantly changing business environment.
- To instill an understanding of the ethical responsibilities of professional accountants and the moral dimension of business decisions.
- To help students develop a sense of professional and personal responsibility by providing opportunities for students to interact with the business community.
- To develop critical thinking, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- To provide a learning atmosphere that emphasizes information technology and develops computer and technical skills.
Student Learning Outcomes
1. Graduates will have effective written communication skills
2. Graduates will have effective oral communication skills
3. Graduates will be able to evaluate and understand ethical issues in business decisions
4. Graduates will demonstrate the ability to analyze information and apply critical thinking skills
5. Graduates will be proficient in using the appropriate technology and information resources for their field
6. Graduates will demonstrate knowledge of the field in their concentration or major