Academic Advising

Academic Advising

You will be assigned an academic advisor during the fall semester of your freshman year or within a month of transferring into the department. Advisor lists are posted on the bulletin board outside of the department office in DePaul Hall (112). You must meet with your advisor each semester before registering for classes. Prior to registration each semester, the secretary will have available sign-up sheets for appointment times for each professor. Your advisor can help you select courses, but it is important that you bring a tentative schedule for your advisor to review during the meeting. Your advisor can also assist you in finding faculty members interested in research activities that complement yours. 

It is very important that you get to know your advisor, but you must take an active role. Use your advisor as a resource tool to prepare for graduate school or employment after graduation. Your advisor can assist you in career preparation and can direct you to sources of information about graduate school or job opportunities not included in this handbook.

Advisement Information
Refer to the following guidelines regarding declaring a minor, dropping a course, transfer credit, etc. See your advisor for more information regarding academic policies, or consult your copy of the Niagara University Undergraduate Catalogue.

Declaring a Minor
Students may obtain an academic minor in a discipline outside of psychology. A minor concentration consists of five or six courses in a specific area. Consult the undergraduate catalogue for a description of the appropriate courses for each area. With careful planning, students should be able to complete requirements for a minor within the 40 courses required for graduation. Courses for the minor are frequently used as advised electives. Students should consult with their advisor about minors that would benefit them personally, or that may enhance their career preparations. Application for a minor can be completed online. Successful completion of the minor will be noted on the transcript.

Declaring a second Major
Students may also obtain a second major. All degree requirements must be met for both majors. Students should consult with an advisor from each department before enrolling for classes each semester. Students will normally receive one degree (and only one diploma) at graduation; the transcript will indicate both majors.

Changing your Major
Students should first meet with the chairperson of the department they wish to change their major to and bring the Change of Major Form with them. Students should review graduation requirements with the chairperson of the new major who will give the student permission to transfer into this major. The signed Change of Major Form is then brought to the office of the dean of Arts and Sciences who gives final permission for changing a major.

Transfer Credits
The dean of Arts and Sciences approves all transfer credits from other colleges or universities. Students are responsible for having official transcripts from other schools sent to the Dean's Office. Courses that the students received a C grade or better are eligible for transfer credit.

Summer Courses
Students should see their advisors for permission to enroll in summer courses at Niagara or at other colleges. Students should bring with them catalogue descriptions of courses they are intending to take at another college. Their psychology advisor will give the initial approval for courses outside the major as well as Psychology courses. The dean of Arts and Sciences gives final approval to accept courses taken at another university.

Academic Standing and Graduation Requirements
A minimum overall GPA of 2.0 is required for graduation. A 2.0 GPA is also required for courses in Psychology. When a student's overall GPA drops below a 2.0, they are placed on warning status. Students placed on probation will receive a notice from the Dean's Office. Consult your undergraduate catalogue for additional information regarding academic probation and dismissal from the university.

Drop-add & closed course procedures
See your advisor for a Drop/Add Form, and bring the completed form to the Records Office in Butler Building.  If a course is closed, the records office will issue the student a Permission to enroll in a Closed Course Form. This form must be signed by the instructor and department chairperson of the department offering the course. After the official drop/add period is over, students must obtain a Four-part Drop/Add Form from their advisor. The instructor must give permission for a student to add the course after the official drop/add period is over. Students may withdraw from courses until the 10th week of the semester without permission of the instructor. However, after the 10th week, the instructor must give the student permission to drop a course by indicating whether the student is doing passing work. If the student is doing passing work, a will appear on the transcript; if the student is not doing passing work, an F will appear on the transcript.