The high demands students experience in the performance emphasis develop their abilities, skills and knowledge of performing arts in both an academic and practical environment. Our curriculum is designed to include coursework in acting, voice and movement every semester, which may include: dance, directing, movement, physical theatre, stage combat, speech and voice for musical theatre.
In addition to the academic coursework, performance students have the opportunity to apply practical skills and knowledge in a professional environment through work in the departmental productions.
Graduates of the performance sequence may continue with advanced training on the professional or graduate level, or immediately pursue careers in performance, directing or theatre education.
B.F.A. - Performance Degree Requirements
General Education Requirements
See General Education
- Foundation Courses (9)
- Distribution Courses (11)
Departmental Core Requirements
- THR 103 Introduction to the Theatre
- THR 104 Fundamentals of Production
- THR 400 Shakespeare
- THR 411, 412 History and Literature of Theatre I and II
- Two advised electives
- THR 101-102 Performance Technique I & II
- THR 201-202 Performance Technique III & IV
- THR 301-302 Performance Technique V & VI
- THR 401-402 Performance Technique VII & VIII
- THR 362 Dramatic Theory and Criticism
- THR 413 History and Literature of Theatre III
- THR 414 American Theatre and Drama
- THR 425 Directing
- Eight practicums (one credit each)