The Office of Academic Support provides free tutoring support to students who want to improve their English skills and become more confident in their ability to communicate in English. Our English as a Second Language (ESL) tutor can assist students in the following areas:
Speaking and listening:
- Finding the right words to express your thoughts.
- Improving pronunciation, grammar and word choice.
- Improving English vocabulary.
- Understanding rapidly-spoken English, American sayings and colloquial language.
Reading and writing:
- Improving reading, understanding and responding to college texts.
- Improving English grammar (e.g., writing complete sentences).
- Understanding how to compose different types of writing (e.g., thesis and argument).
- Understanding citation rules.
Background knowledge in American culture and history:
- Basic American geography, government, history, and politics.
- Cultural clichés and allusions.
- Commonly-known Western literature.
ESL tutoring is by appointment only and only during the following times:
- Wednesdays between 9 and 11:30 a.m. or between 4 and 6 p.m.
- Thursdays between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. or between 3:30 and 6 p.m.
To schedule an appointment with the ESL tutor, please contact Hilary Laseur in Academic Support at 716.286.8073 or by email at email@example.com.