Youngsoo Choi, Ph.D.
- (716) 286-8269
- (716) 286-8277
- Office Location:
- St. Vincent's Hall Room 413
Dr. Choi joined Niagara University in Fall 2013 after he taught at Rosen College of Hospitality Management of University of Central Florida for several years. While he worked at UCF, he taught hospitality human resource management, destination management & marketing, tourism management, international tourism management, and research methodology courses. He teaches Human Resources Management, Marketing of Hotels and Restaurants, and Special topic: Issues in International Tourism Management. His ultimate objective in the classes he teaches is to build a mentoring relationship with every individual student, while implementing the concepts of ‘care’ and ‘fairness’ in course management.
Dr. Choi also put a high priority on student advisement and services, and has demonstrated his passion throughout his career as a faculty of higher educational institutes. He has participated in thesis/dissertation committees as an advisor or a committee member for both graduate and undergraduate Honor students, whose works have been well recognized by presentations in academic conferences and by receiving university/college awards. As a junior faculty at UCF, he volunteered to get involved in numerous committees both at university and at college level, and occasionally served for community organizations’ task-forces. Dr. Choi has a keen interest and passion in internationalization initiatives of university/college. For the last four years at UCF, he developed and coordinated hospitality/tourism industry seminar program for Kyung Hee University, South Korea, where many motivated undergraduate students from Kyung Hee University’s hospitality and tourism program had invaluable opportunities to participate in a 4-week long program that was comprised of multiple seminar sessions and site visits to leading hospitality/industry companies.
He received a Ph.D. in Hotel, Restaurant, and Institutional Management at Pennsylvania State University with the dissertation focus on international tourism demand forecasting. His main research areas include: tourism destination management & marketing, hospitality human resource management, tourism economics, and hospitality education. His work has been published in refereed academic journals such as International Journal of Hospitality Management, Tourism Management, Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Research, International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, International Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Administration, Journal of Human Resources in Hospitality & Tourism. He has also served as an editorial reviewer for various academic journals, and has been involved in professional associations for many years.
Current Research Interest
Selected Peer-Refereed Journal Publications
- Lee, J., Choi, Y., & Breiter, D. (in press). An Exploratory Study of Convention Destination Competitiveness from Attendees’ Perspective: IPA & Repeated Measures of MANOVA. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Research.
- Ro, H., Choi, Y., & Olson, E. (2013). Service recovery evaluations: GLBT versus hetero customers. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 33, 366-375.
- Kim, S. & Choi, Y. (2013). Hotel employees’ perception of green practices. International Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Administration, 14(2), 157-178.
- Choi, Y., & Ro, H. (2012). An empirical study of hospitality management student attitudes toward group projects: Instructional factors and team problems. Journal of College Teaching & Learning, 9(4), 303-312.
- Ro, H. & Choi, Y. (2011). Student team project: Gender difference on team project experience and attitude toward team-based work. Journal of Teaching in Travel & Tourism, 11(2), 149-163.
- McDowall, S. & Choi, Y. (2010). A comparative analysis of Thai residents’ perception of tourism’s impacts. Journal of Quality Assurance in Hospitality and Tourism, 11(1), 36-55.
- Choi, Y. & Dickson, D. (2010). A case study into the benefits of management training programs: Impacts on hotel employee turnover and satisfaction level. Journal of Human Resources in Hospitality & Tourism, 9(1), 1-14.
- Chen, P. & Choi, Y. (2008). Generational differences in work values: A study of hospitality management. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 20(6), 595-615.
Selected Peer-Refereed Conference Presentations
- Choi, Y., Ro, H., & Olson, E. (2013). An exploratory study of the association between gay tourists’ psychographics, their perceived destination image, and the generational factor. 2013 Korea America Hospitality and Tourism Educators Association (KAHTEA) annual conference, Nevada, LV: April.
- Tang, T., & Choi, Y. (2013). An empirical study of the Spring break market: acomparative analysis of Florida destinations. 18th Annual Graduate Education & Graduate Student Research Conference in Hospitality & Tourism, Seattle, WA: January.
- Bujisic, M., Choi, Y., Parsa, H.G., & Krawczyk, M. (2012). Effect of demographic factors on tipping in a convention hotel: A longitudinal study. 2012 TOSOK International Tourism Conference, Ulsan, South Korea: July.
- Xu, S., Choi, Y., & Lv, Q. (2012). Subjective well-being, work motivation, organizational commitment, and job enrichment: A moderated mediation study of Chinese hotel frontline employees. Annual I-CHRIE Summer Conference, Providence, RI: August.
- Choi, Y. (2011). Sensitivity of the U.S. inbound tourist arrivals to the exchange rate volatility. 17th Asia Pacific Tourism Association Annual Conference, Seoul, Korea: July.
- Lee, J., Ro, H., & Choi, Y. (2011). Convention destination image and attributes: an application of multi-dimensional scaling (MDS) and factor analysis. The 2011 TOSOK International Tourism Conference, Seoul, Korea: July.
- Ro, H., & Choi, Y. (2011). Student team project perception: Instructional considerations. Conference in SouthEast CHRIE Spring Meeting, Atlanta, GA: February.
- Editorial review board of Tourism Studies (Korean), The Tourism Sciences Society of Korea
- Ad-hoc editorial reviewer of Annals of Tourism Research
- Ad-hoc editorial reviewer of International Journal of Hospitality Management
- Ad-hoc editorial reviewer of Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Research
- Ad-hoc editorial reviewer of International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management
- Ad-hoc editorial reviewer of Journal of Hospitality Marketing & Management
- Ad-hoc editorial reviewer of Journal of Quality Assurance in Hospitality and Tourism
- Has been a member of The International Council on Hotel, Restaurant, and Institutional Education, Hotel Human Resources Association (HHRA) of Central Florida, Asia Pacific Tourism Association, The Regional Science Association International, The Travel and Tourism Research Association, and The International Society of Travel and Tourism Educators
Committee on College Teaching and Learning, 2013 – Present
Internationalization initiatives, 2013 – Present
Curriculum Committee (Online Course Design Quality Review), 2013 –
ACPHA Accreditation Preparation, 2013 – Present
College student recruiting, Fall 2013
- Best Paper, 2013 Korea America Hospitality and Tourism Educators Association (KAHTEA) Annual Conference, Nevada, LV, U.S.A.: April. Choi, Y., Ro, H., & Olson, E. (2013). An exploratory study of the association between gay tourists’ psychographics, their perceived destination image, and the generational factor.
- Highly Commended Award at the Literati Network Awards for Excellence (2009), Emerald Group Publishing Limited. Chen, P. & Choi, Y. (2008). Generational differences in work values: A study of hospitality management. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 20(6), 595-615. Top 20 most downloaded articles during the 6 months immediately following the month of publication (among the articles published in IJCHM: 2006 -2008).