Contracts & Designated Signers
Niagara University Contract Signing Procedure and Authority
Any contract entered into by Niagara University, regardless of the financial amount or conditions involved, must be executed pursuant to this policy. Contracts not signed in accordance with this policy shall be subject to revocation.
Prior to signing, all contracts must be reviewed by the university's General Counsel, or the Assistant General Counsel, and then signed by one of the following officers of the university: the President, the Executive Vice President, the Vice President for Administration, or those employees with the delegated authority to do so (as listed below):
Standing delegations of signing authority from the President:
- The Provost may sign academic articulation agreements.
- The Vice President for Advancement may sign contracts involving $100,000 or less.
- The Vice President for Student Affairs & Enrollment Management may sign entertainment contracts involving $50,000.00 or less.
- The Assistant Vice President for Enrollment Management may sign contracts involving $5,000.00 or less.
- The Dean of Students may sign contracts involving $50,000.00 or less.
- The Director of Business Services may sign contracts involving $100,000.00 or less.
- The Director of Facilities may sign contracts involving $100,000.00 or less;
- The Construction Manager may sign change orders on facilities' contracts when the amount of the change is less than $10,000.00.
- The Director and Curator of the Castellani Art Museum may sign contracts as provided by the Museum's Collections Management Policy, including contracts for accession, de-accession, and the loan of works either to or from the Museum.
- The Director of the Theatre may sign contracts pertaining to theatrical performances involving $10,000.00 or less and with a duration of no more than one year.
- The Director of Athletics may sign contracts arranging athletic games.
- The Director of Campus Activities may sign contracts related to campus events and entertainment, and off-campus student events, involving $10,000.00 or less and with a duration of no more than one year.
- The Director of Human Resources may sign letters of hire, termination and other matters relating to individual employment.
- The Director of Ontario Programs may sign certifications and other documentation related to the Ontario Student Assistance Program.
Contract Review Steps
- Procurement Policy: A well-written RFP or RFI makes contract review faster, so before you identify a contract, follow the NU Procurement Policy (at policies.niagara.edu) for contracts in excess of $2,500.00, or if the terms of a grant require certain bidding procedures. Feel free to contact the GC office, Business Services, or OSPR with any questions about that.
- Requesting review: please send a scanned copy of the contract to email@example.com, and let us know your deadline for review, and any questions you may have about the contract. Please include your RFP or RFI if applicable.
- Review: Review will be generated by the GC, Stephanie (Cole) Adams, or Assistant GC, Ryan Thompson, and shared with the designated signer who will be making the business decision about whether or not to finalize the contract.
- Final signatures: Typically, it is the responsibility of the primary contact person to finalize signatures; please let us know if you require assistance with that. When you have a fully-signed contract, please send a scan to firstname.lastname@example.org, and send the original hard copy to the General Counsel's office for storage. We will upload it to the Contracts Database on myNU so you can always locate a copy.
- Compliance: Individual departments and signing officers are responsible for compliance (paying invoices on time, addressing inadequate service, warranty enforcement, etc), but please feel free to contact the GC office with any questions or concerns about your contract. Many times, the sooner we are consulted, the more time and resources we can save for NU.
- Insurance: Some contracts require proof of insurance. When insurance is required by NU, your contract is not considered ready for signature by the University until a copy of the certificate of insurance is on file with Business Services and uploaded onto the Contracts Database. When insurance is required by an outside entity, please consult Business Services as soon as possible to ensure you get a timely copy of the necessary paperwork.
- Contracts database: A copy of your fully-signed contract will be on the Contracts Database (on myNU under "Contracts"). This tool tracks expiration dates, exclusivity clauses, and insurance documents. Please feel free to contact the GC for training on or to suggest improvements to the system.