About Our Faculty
As a student at Niagara University, you'll have the opportunity to be taught by faculty who have earned outstanding reputations in their fields - faculty who are at the forefront of scholarship and research. For the 2008-2009 academic year, our faculty:
- Traveled to over 70 professional presentations.
- Wrote 1 book with another 2 accepted for publication.
- Published over 80 articles, chapters or book reviews
- 13 faculty received summer research grants
- Several other faculty received external grants from NIH, Merk and other sources
The most frequently cited department strength students listed in the Arts & Sciences Senior Surveys each year is the excellence of their professors. Niagara University is a proponent of active learning, and our faculty demonstrate such principles daily in their classrooms. In 2008-2009:
- 92% of seniors rate the quality of teaching by our faculty as excellent in our Senior Survey
- 25 A&S Faculty received grants in support of active learning in the classroom from the Fund for the Improvement of Teaching and Learning
- 44% of A&S Faculty were nominated by students for the A&S Excellence in Teaching award, with 25% of part-time instructors nominated for the part-time teaching award.
- 14 faculty gave presentations at the International Conference on Teaching and Learning
In addition to fostering learning in the classroom, our faculty work closely with students on research projects. In 2008-2009:
- 41% of the class of 2009 reported that they had, or planned to, work with a professor on a research project in the A&S senior survey.
- In 2008-2009 faculty/student research collaborations included:
- 99 A&S students presented at the Undergraduate Research Conference
- 19 A&S students presented at the Nursing Student Presentation Day
- 26 A&S student presented at Eastern Colleges Science Conference (ECSC) with 7 winning excellence awards.
- 12 A&S students presented at Undergraduate Research in Communications conference in RIT
- 48 student honors theses.
- Several students were authors/co-authors with faculty on papers presented at national professional conferences
- 11 students co-authored 4 publications with one faculty member, and 3 more student/faculty papers were submitted for publication by another faculty member.
- 5 student/faculty teams were awarded summer research funding
- Niagara University Students were featured on the cover of the Council on Undergraduate Research's The CUR Quarterly magazine 2009, which contained an article by Dr. Vaught, and a description of a student-faculty research project with Dr. Priefer.
For more information about faculty student research, click here.