2014 Empowering Volunteers Conference
- More Upcoming:
- May 17, 2014
- Castellani Art Museum, Niagara University
- Conference Brochure
Border Community SERVICE of Niagara University will host a free Citizen and Community Preparedness Conference at Niagara University on Saturday, May 17, 2014. Registration will take place in the Castellani Art Museum, beginning at 8:30 a.m., with welcome and introductions beginning at 9 a.m.
This year, our program is pleased to have James Markovich, Special Agent with the Federal Bureau of Investigation, to present the keynote address on Cyber Footprints: Computer-Related Investigations.
The conference is designed to provide training opportunities and workshops detailing ‘best practices’ in citizen and community preparedness initiatives. This year’s presentations include:
- Imposter Detection – presenter: John Chiarello, Training Instructor, Erie County Law Enforcement Training Academy
- Introduction to Canning – presenter: Greg Merriam, Elma CERT
- Introduction to Chemical Facility Anti-Terrorism Standards – presenter: John Waszak, Chemical Security Inspector, US Department of Homeland Security
- Transportation Systems in Disaster: Assessing Vulnerability in Communities – presenter: Fred Frank, LEED AP BD+C Senior Planner, Parsons Brinckerhoff
- Safety and Preparedness for Our Weather: A Look at What Not to Do – presenter: Judy Levan, Warning Coordination Meteorologist, National Weather Service
- Faith Based Response to Disasters/VOAD's – presenters: Rev. John Klatt, Evangelical Lutheran Church; Rev. Rick Koch, United Methodist Church; Jan Tyson, Presbytery of WNY
A continental breakfast and lunch will be provided compliments of BCS and a raffle drawing of various preparedness items will take place at the conclusion of the conference.
The mission of Border Community SERVICE (Special Emergency Response Volunteer Initiative for Community Empowerment) of Niagara University is to provide emergency preparedness training to citizens and to encourage their participation in opportunities that enhance regional emergency readiness.